Is it normal that a guy has casual encounters while he's waiting to be with the one he loves?

Maxine_Payne
This is about a friend.
He has a long-distance love interest but he's waiting for her to graduate from school so they can make their relationship official and eventually plan on being together for good.

In the meantime, he's seeing other girls just for casual encounters because he said he has needs. His long-distance girl doesn't know about any of this.

I'm not one to judge or say anything but I feel bad for the girl and I don't find this acceptable but hey, maybe that's just me. I'm curious if it's actually normal for a guy to have casual encounters like that while he's "waiting on her/to be together", so asking on here because I would like to hear your opinions/thoughts on this.
8
1