Need some advice. (please read the whole thing before saying shit)?

I dont now how to put this with out making my friend seem like a dick, but he's been acting like one so I dont care rn. so he like on of my friends (a girl) and has been asking her out by text, but she pretty much said she won't say anything until he grows a pair and asks her out in person. I haven't had a big problem with this until today. today I posted a thing on Snapchat that said the first person to respond would be my lock screen for a day, so she is the first to respond and a picture of her is my lock screen. when my friend see's that she is my lock screen he gets all defensive and pissey. I dont know what to do because I have liked her for a long time and never said anything and now I dont want to do anything because my friend will hate me. please help. and also dont say I need to grow a pair.
2
3