Should I text him? (Advice is greatly appreciated, please take the time to read and help me out here)?

Anonymous
There's this guy I used to really like in middle school. He didn't like me, but myself being the "typical middle school girl" continued to bug him and try and get him to "date" me. I used to write "love letters" and he'd accept them, but always said no.

Now that those 5 years have gone by, and we're both in high school now, I haven't talked to him in over a year (as in a full out conversation). I've only texted him Merry Christmas, and we also know one of each other's biggest secrets from a past online conversation.

I pass him in the halls a lot, I pretend I don't see him and look up in a different direction in embarrassment (and the fact that I like him still). Sometimes I think he looks at me, but I usually pretend I don't see him.

I'd love to talk to him again. He knows I've changed, and I know I've changed. I'd like to be friends with him, we have similar interests and seem to get along well. I just don't know how to approach it.

Should I text him, and if so, what should I say? Talking to him in person is too risky, as he is always with friends and I could get extremely embarrassed (I have social anxiety). So online is my best bet, I'm just afraid of getting ignored. Although, the last time we talked he answered right away. I just don't know what to do. I can't tell if he doesn't want anything o do with me and is being kind, or actually wants to talk to me. Any suggestions? Should I take a step and text him after so long without talking? Advice would really be appreciated :)
1
2