Can someone truly love someone else romantically and not want to try and put in the effort to be with them?

here's the deal, I met this guy a few months ago who I fell in love with. He was a genuine guy who took good care of me and i think i took pretty good care of him. We went out to this 24 arcade a lot. Hung out all the time. He said he loves me, literally every time i cried, he cried. But he planned on moving to Cali, once he got attached to me he changed his mind for a little and said he was gonna stay here, but then changed his mind back to California. He said its because of family and because he'd be homeless for awhile if he stayed with me. I said I'd go to California with him. He said he loves me deeply and hates letting me go, but acts like there's nothing we can do. Opinion: do you think its possible to live someone, but not want them to come out with you? What would be the reason?
3
2