In this day and age there are women who still believe men are obligated to pay for every date. Why is that the case?

Cold-gets-Colder
I've never once had a problem with paying for an event I planned or didn't, but now that i'm going into college I see things from a different point of view.
In my last year of high school I went on a wonderful date with a close friend of mine. I planed the date and spent 60$ on just the tickets alone. This was with the thought of still having to pay for dinner that night in mind. The question then became what to eat that wasn't going to leave me broke the next two weeks. Thankful before I could even look at how much cash was left in my account my friend stopped me and said..." If a girl ever sees you drop 60$ on some movie tickets and doesn't offer to buy you a meal on the first date you need to leave." That one line changed my mind set on first dates completely. (best friend is so amazing )
So what I want to know is why... Why is it no matter the cost of the whole night, women just out of high school going into college usually expect the guys to pay for everything?

3
6