He keeps going hot and cold with me?

He used to like me a few months ago (he doesn't know I know that) but then he got with my friend. He always compliments me and stares at me for way too long. We are always messing around and he will grab my hand and grasp it really tight. Recently, we have spending a lot of time alone together.
At first he seemed really nervous and didn't always know what to say to me. But he made it obvious that he wants me to stay with him. He was talking about what I'm like when I have a crush on someone and I was explaining I'd rather them be upfront and he was questioning me on it. He is a very flirty person but he couldn't even look me in the eyes when we were talking (he always does, even when we're not talking) but the more time we are spending alone the more comfortable he seems and he starts flirting with me. Also, I text him randomly a few days ago (he didn't have my number) and ever since we've been texting me non-stop (even when we're in school). However, sometimes he'll be all flirty and will actually make an effort to be around me and talk to me but other times he just won't make an effort at all. Earlier he literally just walked straight past me when I saw him outside of school and didn't even talk to me when I was sitting right next to him. He will ignore me when we're face-to-face but then he'll be texting me throughout the day and then the next day things will be fine and he'll be all flirty again, wanting to spend time alone. He used to do this when he had a girlfriend and when I would pull away because I was annoyed with him he'd come running back and try to suck up to me. All I want to know is where I stand with him and I want us to be more honest with each other because this really gets me down sometimes. What can I do about it? Should I talk to him? I kind of sick and tired with whatever is going on to be honest.

He keeps going hot and cold with me?
1
1