How do I back out of talking to someone before it gets serious?

I started talking to this guy awhile ago and at first I was just helping him get over this girl but somehow it turned into a more meaningful friendship. Then we started flirting, getting to know each other a lot more and somewhere along the lines it became something more. I love talking to him, im attracted to him and he feels the same. We talk everyday now and there's an event coming up where were gonna be together and im worried he's gonna want to be with me. I didn't lead him on i said i liked talking to him because we could flirt and its not serious. Im just not emotionally prepared for a relationship i guess, I've never been in one and I'm scared so I want to somehow back out of this budding relationship and go back into our friendship stage if possible. Im kind of freaking out so if anyone can please help me, thank you
18
3