Would you be in a relationship with a drug addict?

my ex boyfriend is a drug addict and yes i knew he was when we first started dating but whenever he doesn't take some he feels like shit and treat me like shit ( ignore me for days bc when he stops he's in terrible pain ) i tried to help him , i did my best but i couldn't continue... yes i still love him and he tried to get back with me twice but i said no , sometimes i feel like i abandoned him but i still check on him sometimes

• i have no problem with that
  • no that will ruin the relationship
Select a gender to cast your vote:

621

Most Helpful Guy

• Speaking from experience, it DOES ruin the relationship. I can relate to you, Anonymous. People in these situations (myself included) tend to believe that they can "save" the drug addict, like it happens in cliché Hollywood films. However, this just isn't possible to do.

Ultimately, they have to make the decision on their own to sober up. I thought I could help my ex with her drug and alcohol issues, but it got to a point where I just couldn't do it. I tried to be patient with her, but the lying, cheating, stealing, and abuse became too intolerable, especially in the final days of our relationship.

And yes, Anonymous, I too love my ex. In fact, she's the first girl I've ever fallen in love with. But, you've made the right decision. As I've said before, it's ultimately their decision to get clean, and there's really nothing you could have done. Stay strong!

What Guys Said 20

• I am a highly functioning drug addict - I am addicted to opiates, and I drink poppy seed tea twice every 24 hours. If I don't, I go through withdrawals. However, poppy seed tea is not a street drug - I buy everything that goes in it online, and everything is perfectly legal to buy. It's also a very inexpensive drug, especially compared to how powerful it is. I have heard that opiate/poppy seed tea addiction is actually one of the least difficult drug habits to kick, basically you just experience flu-like symptoms for a month, and you can decrease those symptoms by taking certain substances like loperamide. I'm still addicted, though, and even though I can still be a functional and contributing member of society, that doesn't change the fact that I'm an addict. That being said, I never, ever let my addiction get in the way of my romantic relationships, and whenever I have a girl, my girl always comes first and her needs and desires come before mine. If a girl I'm with would ever leave me because of my addiction, it would hurt me a great deal, but I would try to be understanding. I just want people to realize that not every drug addict is an inconsiderate junky that cannot contribute to a relationship or to society - I do both just fine.

• I wouldn't because it will just cause a bunch of problems along the way. If a person is addicted to drugs, that means they have internal problems within themselves and I'm not about that life. Been in a relationship before where the person was horrible on the inside and it ended up being a bad relationship

• No I would not. I've been around hundreds, probably thousands, of drug users in my life. I've done it myself. I've known too many who have died. I've known too many who fucked up their lives. That's in the past and it's going to stay in the past. I don't want it in my life.

You can not count on someone quitting. They might, but it's not worth waiting to find out if they do. You could be waiting forever. You could be spending your precious time on something that may never happen.

He is not your responsibility. He is his own responsibility. Don't feel like you are abandoning him. Don't feel guilty. This is on him, not on you.

Please don't be a martyr and sacrifice your life for someone who may never come around. Drugs mess up people's lives. They also affect the lives of people around them. Don't let it take you with it.

• Not likely. Those relationships do not last very long - whether it's the abuse itself (whether drug abuse or physical/verbal abuse) or the mental/emotional problems. I know of a couple that has done drugs and while they are still working on their drug problem, they are still together. I hope they make it because they have young kids that need them, and they need themselves.

• I wouldn't. You deserve to be with a boy who treats you right because you sound like a very sweet girl by trying to help him while he was treating you like crap. He wasn't the right one and if your personality stays the same, I'm almost certain you will find the right one eventually who treats you right.

• thank you so much

• Your welcome sweetie. Just be patient, I'm sure he'll come around someday. I know I'd love to have a girlfriend like you😊

• I think dating someone with drug addiction is hard to do
    i believe if they got a cure and off of the drugs that might
    give one a chance to date someone like but there's a high
    chance they will go back to their old habits again.

• Not even nicotine addiction...

• when i think drug addict, I think of someone who can't take care of themselves. Why would I want that?

• hell no

• No, they're gross

• no not at all.

• Hell no

• The only addiction i'd accept would be smoking up to a certain amount.

• depends in the drugs he takes

• I would not be in a relationship like that

• If he cares more about whatever his addiction IS, THE LESS HE THINKS ABOUT YOU.

• Well what drug and what's your definition of an "addict"?

• tramadol pills and he takes that every day and sometimes weed

• At the VA yea.. but then they under prescribing and useless and I use those and yet another pill for arthritis pain.

• This one girl on here said she would rather date a drug addict than a short guy becuase at least a drug addict has a chance of getting better.

• my boyfriend and I do drugs together, he smokes cigarettes but other than that we actually aren't addicted to anything.

• I wouldn't because I don't want someone who has issues like that.

What Girls Said 6

• No I would not. Especially if I was as young as you. It'll destroy everything and put you in danger. Drug addicts get involved with bad people.

• No way!

• no way, if it was someone i knew since i was young i would probably try to help them but i would never date someone into drugs.

• I grew up drugs I've had 2 family members die from drug overdoses, I've always told e very guy i date that i will not tolerate them taking drugs, I've seen all too well what drugs can do!

• thanks and sorry for your loss !

• That's my one deal breaker. Drugs, alcohol, vape.

• I never would