Would you be in a relationship with a drug addict?

my ex boyfriend is a drug addict and yes i knew he was when we first started dating but whenever he doesn't take some he feels like shit and treat me like shit ( ignore me for days bc when he stops he's in terrible pain ) i tried to help him , i did my best but i couldn't continue... yes i still love him and he tried to get back with me twice but i said no , sometimes i feel like i abandoned him but i still check on him sometimes

• i have no problem with that
  • no that will ruin the relationship

621

Most Helpful Guy

• Speaking from experience, it DOES ruin the relationship. I can relate to you, Anonymous. People in these situations (myself included) tend to believe that they can "save" the drug addict, like it happens in cliché Hollywood films. However, this just isn't possible to do.

Ultimately, they have to make the decision on their own to sober up. I thought I could help my ex with her drug and alcohol issues, but it got to a point where I just couldn't do it. I tried to be patient with her, but the lying, cheating, stealing, and abuse became too intolerable, especially in the final days of our relationship.

And yes, Anonymous, I too love my ex. In fact, she's the first girl I've ever fallen in love with. But, you've made the right decision. As I've said before, it's ultimately their decision to get clean, and there's really nothing you could have done. Stay strong!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE