Do you really have to play games to get someone to like you?

I'm a 30 year old good looking, single female. I've been reading a lot of dating books about how I should act towards men by being unavailable and hard to get. While I get the idea, I just want to be me! I put a lot of effort into my work and hobbies and the idea for me to work even more to find a mate seems exhausting. Can't I just be myself and find someone who values me for me? I get the obvious of waiting for sex and the basics of dating (like not being needy) but it seems like to a lot of these dating "gurus" it requires a lot of mental work and calculations. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm just going to continue to be myself (I think I'm a pretty ok girl). Life just feels better that way! And I ultimately don't want someone who doesn't appreciate me for me or my feelings. Can't do fake.

1465

Most Helpful Guy

• Hi,

Please, please, PLEASE grab every single magazine, website, leaflet or other form of communication that gives you Cosmogirl-type garbage advice. It is made to keep people dependent on their garbage, by constantly buying into the shitty advice.

In the end, the only true thing that matters is you. Who are you, who do YOU want to be and how do YOU feel comfortable. It is irrelevant what people around you think, as those people who are worth fighting for will also appreciate all the little quirks that you may have.

So what if that makes you different. Good, it makes you worth the time. It's so good to see someone genuinely being themselves rather than a clone of societal expectations smothered in teenage insecurity.

If you want someone, go for it. Take a leap, put your foot forward and show them through being yourself without any pretense or masquerade, that you're wonderful. But do not start the infantile games of "oh god play hard to get that'll help". Many men will literally just walk away and write you off because you aren't interested or simply come across snobby if you would do that.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm with you, I have no interest in playing games and acting any differently than the way I am. I know what I want and I have no issue asking for it or pursuing it.
    Even if it doesn't work the way I had wished, upside is, I didn't sink a ton of time and effort into it.
    To me, Id much rather "lose" fair and square by being me. Saves a lot of trouble later with the questions
    "Well, what if I had done _____? Maybe it would have turned out differently."
    Screw that!
    He didn't like me, he didn't want what I wanted, or whatever else it was.
    It's done and over, I can move on.
    I dont enjoy it when guys play games so it's only fair that I dont either.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE