How do you know if you're in love with someone?

Not that I'm in love... I'm only 16. Just a general question. How do you know if you're in love with someone?

Most Helpful Guy

• In reading about breakups, which I am experiencing the aftermath of, I've begun to think at some physical level, love is the process of committing an extensive amount of happy experiences to memory, and imagined future shared plans. We have enduring love if we fight to maintain those memories even when circumstances indicate we should do otherwise. If we are honest, love is a mental construct. This is my opinion. I am still in love.

Most Helpful Girl

• You just.. know. I don't know how to explain it. Literally nothing changes between before and after you realise it. You're there, just laughing at one of their jokes, or looking at them, our scrolling through your conversations.. and then it hits you. "Shit". That's what I thought. Nothing changed, it was exactly like before. But now I knew. And it made me incredibly happy. Irregardless of the nights I knew I would have spent wondering why he wasn't texting me or what he was doing or if he was thinking about me. I was happy.

What Guys Said 21

• I guess for me it's when I'm with this person and I feel complete. I have a lot of doubts, regrets and confusion but none of it seems to matter when I'm with her. In fact she makes me feel better about myself, the world, everything. We're currently doing a long distance relationship for three years and have made a promise to meet at the end of it. We gave each other gifts before I left the country. I told her over the internet that her gift was in the process of breaking, so she made a bracelet out of woven strings and mailed it across the Atlantic ocean. I have no words for how I feel with that perfect girl, other than I feel perfect.

• It's a difficult question and may be different for all. I'd say you will know when it happens. Sometimes though it's possible you just have an obsession for someone which can be unhealthy. I guess loving someone in general is a bit of an obsession.

Anyway you will know when it happens. You will be able to tell difference from a crush and being in love.

• What if they're more than a crush, but not your boyfriend, and your not sure if it's love?

• I'm not sure. I fell in love once and I can honestly say that I kinda fell for her the first day with her. However it grew stronger and a few months later I just suddenly felt "wow, I love her". The feeling was really strong and through my whole body and this feeling kinda lingered every time in her presence.

I've had crushes before but this time it felt different from the second we began speaking to each other.

The only way I would say is time. With time you realize what the feeling really is.

• In (very) short.. When you realize, that you care more about them, than you do yourself.

• You know when your in love when you have uncontrollable
    thinking of that certain someone and they come to mind all
    the time.

• ... You can definitely be in love when you're sixteen. To answer your question, you will simply just know. You won't have to guess; you won't have to wonder. And you won't want anyone else.

• I've never been in love so I won't know when it happens

• If u are just 16 then it is just attraction not love

• I get that feeling and I stare at her and she stares back ( she rejected me that was 10th grade)

• I can't tell you
    It just happens lol

• No idea. Cause I never thought about it.

• How you feel when you're around them, how you look at them

• When all you ever think about is them and you can't stand being apart

• You start singing Sinatra songs.

• When you want to have unprotected sex with him

• If you dream of him every night and you can't stop looking at him, you are in love.

• You will know when he grabs your ass😬

• You mind and heart will let you know!, agree doesn't matter.

• *sigh* Don't you know that love has no age?

• I mean... It kinda does. At earlier ages when you haven't hit puberty yet, your hormones aren't really doing anything yet. It's all regulated to a very small amount. That means the hormone that causes things like attractiveness or LOVE, dopamine, isn't really being so effective until you begin the process of puberty. And at this point you would be very confused because there is then an imbalance. I know I sometimes have feelings for someone and just a few months or even weeks after, I go on to like another person. Over time the hormones will balance out, but it may take some years.

• But, it is at a younger age when you do actually have these feelings as age will only break away the dopamine.

• Getting butterfly in your belly

• I don't know maybe its when you look at someone and feel happy, when you look forward to meeting that person knowing fully well the day is gonna be boring but you will still get to be around that person.
    maybe its when you feel like you want to sacrfice yourself for that certain person, when you want to offer that person all the good things you can offer, when you are happy just being with that person and think about them day and night, when you have feelings so strong they dont let you function like normal... I don't know maybe its love or maybe just something else

• your picture proves that girls and guys can't BE FRIENDS

What Girls Said 4

• Depends, for me I'd say a true kind of love would be putting their needs and happiness above yours. The rest: butterflies, slight obsession, desire to be with them and desire for intimacy is more simply attraction and lust :3

• When you are always thinking about them

• you have a smile on yuor face when you think about that person

• When you love his imperfections along with his perfections, when being next to him when he's down and at his hardest is as easy as staying by his side at his happiest moments, when he makes you feel special like nobody else does, when u want to spend the rest of your life with him and the most boring days become special if he's in them , when you're ready to give your best to make him happy, even if that means accepting the fact he may not love u or like u and he may like someone else, but u still support him even though it really hurts, and you're happy for him being happy.
    Then you're in love.