Who ghosts more, males or females?

Just curious to know if it's more common to one gender

• Males
  • Females

2258

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe women do that more often. I think that ghosting somebody is disrespectful, since both are adults and mature, I think everyone should be straight forward and say that nothing is going to happen besides friendships, maybe. That’s it, simple and easy.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think women for sure. I would imagine they get a lot more unwanted attention than men, and it leads to ghosting with girls who don't know what to do to get rid of them, or just don't care.

What Guys Said 57

• I think the only guys that ghost or flake are the players. It would seem to me that more women tend to use the silent treatment to try and get men to get the hint and leave them alone. There are plenty of clingy men too and it only makes sense that women would use ghosting to stay clear. Usually talking to a clingy dude just makes his behavior worse.

Women also ghost when they are mad, they tend to be more passive-aggressive. Why? Because the tactic works very well on men. Men tend to let things eat away at their ego, so when a woman backs off, men notice her acting different and it bugs the shit of the more insecure among us. The ghosting in a way is like a test. I hate game playing, but this test works because insecure men will then give up power and start to chase. Now he is in a far weaker position and I think the relationship at that point is hard to recover.

Ghosting sucks though. It is a sign that there is poor communication, especially it happens in an established relationship.

If it happens early on, it is only because men tend to take rejection pretty damn hard once they feel things are going well. Women don't want to be the target of a man's wrath, especially if they simply aren't interested in anymore.

• Do you still call the guy ghosting a player if we were dating for 6 months?

• I don't know how common it is, it's only happened to me the once recently before then I didn't really know what it was. But it sounds fairly common after coming on here

• Perhaps I stand corrected.

• Guys in my opinion. Girls are less likely to respond in the beginning but once the conversation gets going it's usually the guy who ghosts the girl.

• I think that both do it somewhat equally, but for different reasons:
    1. A lot of women would be more worried about how the person they're breaking up with will feel and don't want to confront them because of that. That may be the case with men as well, but from what I've seen, guys who want to initiate a break up are much more upfront about it and less worried about their partner's reaction.

2. A lot of men just don't really care. This may be due to the sociopathic tendencies of some men who do not feel empathy towards others, and have no qualms about ghosting someone regardless of how that could affect them. Some women may do that as well for that reason.

• How would you explain a male doing it who seemed to be very empathetic to others. Very caring and sensitive why then would that male ghost?

• Good question. I think there best explanation that he is a sociopath. A true sociopath would be very cunning and deceitful. He can easily fake empathy without ever feeling it.

• Girls seem to ghost more because they tend to assume the worst without digging deeper and guys tend to ghost more when they are bored with a girl or realize she isn't as interesting or appealing as they once thought.

• You are offending the ghosts. Only ghosts can ghosts someone

• I would say females... but I think males ghost girls without even knowing it or trying to. Females play these weird games like not texting back to see if we're interested... a normal guy doesn't even know a game is getting played and just figures she ghosted him, case closed... he thinks he's just ghosting back.

• I think the average girl ghosts more than the average guy because they have a lot more options for sex.

However, guys who are hot enough to be fuckboys probably ghost the most.

• Never been ghosted on but i woul assume since men like to say im getting cigarettes and never return then i feel like its men

• In my experience females. B, although that's not to say that plenty of males also don't/ I don't occasionally. If I had to guess from my experience it'd probably be like a 3:5 Ratio

• I would say females , as they have far more options than their male counterparts & as per @Wonderer , tend to expect men to " get their hints " ... which I have done in the past & simply forgot them , it helps being intuitive & having a " detached " personality !! One even tried to get back in touch & I completely forgot who she was ! " Ghosting " does show a lack of decent character , just be upfront !!

• Why do you have your kids pictures as your profile picture on a site based on sexual behavior? Not smart buddy

• @WingGirl The young ( & smart lady @gigipcz ) beat me to it , she is a year older than my boy !! ... One key reason I'm on this site is I'm a single dad... with a son & , importantly.. a daughter , so female input is very handy !! I have NEVER had any untoward attention towards my children... IRL few people would even dare !!

• That makes sense. I apologize. I just got a different vibe from the site. Lots of explicit conversation and pictures for sexual attention.

• Girls hate confrontation, so i'm going with girls.

• Depends on the personality type I know according to your definition I ghost a lot. For me that's because I easily get distracted. By life's projects. Which I feel is normal or very understandable. Although I do know some that ghost to brake up the relationship and I feel that is extremely common. Tactic used by both sex.

• I haven't been ghosted on but I'd say equally.

Girls ghost because they get the odd vibe from a guy or suddenly aren't feel it and guys ghost because let's be honest... after you've been on enough dates it gets REALLY boring and repetitive

• Why would guys make more plans to see you if it was boring but then ghost?

• Honestly I don't know, sometimes guys literally like the security of knowing they could go on a date but at the last moment are like "ehhh god I dunno if I want to go on this date... there are other things to do"

Dating is REALLY boring for guys by the way

• Definitely girls. Us guys only ghost when we lose interest in a girl and we think that she won't notice or care that we're gone. Girls aren't interested in most males and want to be "nice" so they ghost far more frequently than guys.

• Interesting lol
    How females are getting hit hard

The girls love seeing the votes in favour for females cause it just makes them feel powerful knowing they ghost instead of be ghosted

Damn women lol

• Break it down for me what do you call a ghost?

• I'm new to understanding what a ghost is myself but I think it's when you've shown genuine interest in someone and then no warning stop all contact so the person is left with no answers as to why you disappeared

• Thank you yeah that really sucks people that do that

• Both genders feel they have the right to so... both? ID say females because you say one wrong thing they block you even if you didn't mean it

• I say they both do it 50/50..

• Neither. Ghosting is a behavioral thing, not subjected to generic gender characteristics.

If you chose to, you do. Or you don't.
    Please update the options

• Women ghost more often, out of "fear of how he will react when she rejects him"

• I have ghosted once, I have been ghosted 6? times.

• Well based on my experience definitely women.

I try to be the last one to text back even on facebook to all my friends.

• Females

• Females have more options thrown at them and reject more people, so they're the most to ghost.

• Evens stevens.

• Girls?,

• Not voting because I'm not sure. Really, I think it is equally common in both genders.

• Both girls do it more though

• Nearly 80% of my possible dates when I was still dating ghosted on me.

• the female in the pictureis really beautiful.

• More from Guys
    27

What Girls Said 21

• I’d guess females, because we’re less upfront when it comes to hurting feelings and tend to assume our “hints” should be enough

• I feel females got when they are trying to get from an unwanted situation, and I think males ghost when things get too hectic for them or there feelings catch up with them.

• What do you mean their feelings catch up with them?

• My guess would be he lost interest. My main point is myself or any guy I've ever known would never deliberately ignore a girl who we care about. It's not a mature or cool thing to do in the first place, let alone to someone who you apparently really like. However of course, there could be exceptions to that and I could be wrong in some circumstances, but I find it hard to believe.

• @Kkaos true! It doesn't make sense to cease contact with someone you really care about

• I have never ghosted anybody, I always try to be upfront with people because that's how I would want to be treated. However, I have been ghosted by a guy twice.

• Well from the question I see on here regularly, it seems to be guys who end up doing the vanishing act the most. Girls are always asking why the guy they were seeing just randomly stopped calling or spending time together especially if sex didn't happen or happened too fast.

• I voted for girls but honestly I think it is about equal. I've ghosted people before but it was more along the lines of we just met and it either wasn't going anywhere or he was being creepy, not legitimately hanging out/talking all of the time in which case I'd obviously give a reason.

• I only said female because I've ghosted on more people than I've had guys ghost on me

• The polls look exactly the way I expected lol. Of course guys are gonna vote girls and vice versa. We're voting based off of experiences. I can honestly say that I've been ghosted before AND I know of multiple guys that have admitted to ghosting other girls before, so therefore, guys will get my vote here.

• It's equal a lot of men and women are cowards and don't want to tell someone its over for whatever reason or they don't think they have too because the person should know what they did was wrong or out of line and no one should have to explain it why they stop talking.

• I ghost 24/7 not to be rude but like because I do not have the energy required to be social if someone wants a dry ass conversation.

• Would yoh ghost someone who you've been dating for a long period of time? Or just someone you haven't met on only been on one or two dates?

• I regularly can't be bothered to reply to my husbands texts I don't know if that helps I'll even ghost my own mum

• Is that really ghosting though, because I assume you would contact them eventually?

• Well I've been ghosted a bit and I rarely ghost people (now, was kinda bad at it when I was younger. Didn't have the spine to tell them I wasn't interested anymore)

• Females

• I think it's split pretty evenly

• Both the same

• No idea

• Guys I would say, they get commited early and later when it comes to focus on their career they start thinking of ruses to get out of relationship!!!

• Women I think.

• From what I've seen in my area at least... Guys.

• I think fast ghosting women and later on ghosting men.

• Ghosts?

• i personally think females ghost more.. but i've been ghosted a few times.

• I am ghosted a lot from guys! I never do it , even though I have the chance to do so I don't. I tell the guy I'm sorry I don't think it's going to work out etc...
    Last guy I met him for about 4 months he texted me "hey" I said "hi hru" back and... that was it he dissapeared. Lol
    I still think it's very childish if a guy ghostes me I cross him out from my list it's a big turn off for me...