My boyfriend didn't get me anything for my birthday, what should I do?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 7 months now. Our birthdays are only two days apart. A few days before mine, he asked me what I wanted and I gave him a few ideas. But on my birthday he never gave me anything or said anything about. I waited a few days to see if maybe he hadn't had a chance to get me anything yet but he never said anything about it. I didn't really need a present but for his birthday I made him a sketchbook (bound the paper and everything) and put a lot of effort into it. Now it's been a few weeks - I don't know if I should bring this up to him and tell him I'm disappointed about it or just leave it alone at this point... Any advice is appreciated!!

2113

Most Helpful Guy

• i did that to tease my girlfriend once. i am still single

Most Helpful Girl

• You need to talk to him because otherwise you're going to get mkre and more hurt with each passing day and will grow to resent him. Resolve the issue now and tell him how you're feeling

Happy belated birthday btw!

What Guys Said 12

• If it is bothering you, you should definitely bring it up. It was inconsiderate of him in the least. I don't like birthdays and other human celebrations, but I do it for my loved ones anyways because I know they care about these things. He could have at least bought you some flowers, taken you out for dinner, kissed you and said "Happy B-Day", tickled you until you cried, y'know... ANYTHING!

I, too, would be upset if my partner let something I care about go by unnoticed. You should tell him you are disappointed for exactly the same reasons you shared with us. It is the proper path to building a long and healthy relationship, in my opinion.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck. : )

• It sounds like this guy is one of two things.

Either he is a really cheap bastard or he does not care at all about your feelings on your birthday as the least he could have done was to get you a birthday card.

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on!!!

• What the fuck is wrong with people? He should have at least gotten you a card. The fact that he didn't and is happy to pretend nothing happened makes him sound like a complete idiot. And I don't know if you're much better for leaving it 3 weeks before calling him on it. Have a word with him and don't put up with it, this is ridiculous.

• If he asked you what you wanted and even wished you happy birthday but still didn't get you anything, then it seems pretty intentional that he didn't do anything or he should have at least indicated something was in progress. If your really bothered by it then I would definitely say something to him.

• let me know what you suggested? may be he is not in that condition to fulfill your wish.
    I once expected and didn't got that thing actually I got nothing then I learnt this thing " not to expect anything if you are in a relationship"
    your wish is important or the person is more important?

• I asked him for us to do something together. Like take a cooking class together or go to one of those Painting with a Twist places or go hiking or something. It didn't have to be expensive

• hummm... he must go with you on your day.. but maybe he had his own issues.
      don't think too much about this. this was past and you cannot change this but you could focus on future.. All the best

• Wow I'm sorry princess what do you want I'll get it for you I have nothing else to spend my money on

• Give him a bloody good bollocking, keeping z firm hold on him, then forgive him and miss him as if there were no tomorrow's. You must must must both learn every difference must end in kissing and I don't mind where you are unless it's in front of the Queen without her permission!!!

• Did he wish u on Ur bday?

• Yeah - he said happy birthday so he definitely didn't forget

• That's what I was getting at. If he didn't forget then no use telling him anything. It's too late now anyways.

• So gift matters and he doesn't?

• You should... We can sometimes forget about these things...

• Kind of a dick move tbh, on his part. I'd be upset

• Ask him about it. Not fair if you made a present with effort and he didn't get you anything

What Girls Said 20

• Maybe he's saving up to buy something and is too embarrassed to tell you that, guys are weird like that but I guess it's understandable. You should just tell him how you feel. Maybe say something like, "Hey, so you know how on your birthday I got you that really nice sketchbook; I put a lotta work into it you know. Anyway, it kinda hurt my feelings a little that you didn't do something similar for me on my birthday. It's not a massive deal or anything, it's just something that upset me a little and I just wanted to let you know about it."

• At least tell him, and ask why... maybe he ordered your gift and it is delayed... that is the most kind, practical excuse I can think of... and he just avoided bringing it up because he hoped it'd show up before you said anything.

But do not let this go. Say something. Things like this corrode relationships.

• Speak to him! The fact he asked you means he was considering it! You've been together 7 months that's long enough to expect something!

What sort of presents did you ask for? expensive or cheap?
    did he acknowledge your birthday?

see if you asked for expensive gifts chances are he just couldn't afford them and didn't know what else to get you in his price range. Did he take you anywhere for your birthday? these are all factors that contribute to giving a good answer as to what you should do.

• I asked him for us to do something together. Like take a cooking class together or go to one of those Painting with a Twist places or go hiking or something. It didn't have to be expensive...
      And he did acknowledge it - he came over and he said Happy Birthday to me.

• Yeah i would be upset as well if my boyfriend didn't get me anything for my birthday.
    I mean taking you out for dinner (doesnt matter if its cheap) or making a cute card would suffice.

• I would dump him. He doesn't care about you ole selfish ass

• borrow 20 bucks from him tell him I'll be right back. go buy 3 cartoons of eggs and a coffee with moral support and go egg his lame ass house. That way he will remember what's coming to him if he forgets next time

• damn. talk to him about it, thats messed up.

• I just feel like I waited too long to bring it up now? Its been like 3 weeks

• I mean I feel like you should just bring it up but not in like a harsh way. You could text him and be like "hey lmao I just realized u didn't get me anything for my bday. I'm not worried about it though" and see what he says because I feel likes it better to have some sort of conclusion as to why he didn't.

• Talk to him? Best way to resolve an issue of any size is to make the other person aware. How are they going to know something is wrong (albeit he was quite stupid) if you don't just plainly say "Hey, can we talk? What you did upset me and I am/am not angry/disappointed. What happened? This is how you made me feel." And if they're not mature to understand that then how are they going to fare against the real problems?

• Maybe he wasn't able to afford anything. Did he at least wish you?

• You should frankly say (like a joke) that you gave him present bt he didn't.
    Or say like "im still waiting for my present" in a very casual way.

• hey girl! honestly if yous both have good personalities say it in a sarcastic way like "oh yeah thanks for my birthday present i loved it!" and then laugh or something aha. i think its really rude he didn't get you anything. like i dont expect money thrown at me from my boyfriend but even a cheap card to show he cares ya know, i think you should say something about it. :) goodluck

• maybe give it a bit longer cos he might have bought something that takes a while to get to you

• Maybe he is out of money..

• Talk to him. You deserve to be in a relationship where you do not keep the doubts in your head.

• Just drop a hint!

• Ummm, I saw that you were saying your wish was taking cooking classes/hiking/painting. I can totally understand your disappointment and know where you came from. However, to me, what you have mentioned to him are all "activities" that need times to plan, not something you can just do it anytime. Cooking classes have certain fixed schedule, hiking need a whole day off at least and need time to plan on it. Maybe you can suggest a real gift like a hiking shoes/tools, cooking book or painting book if thats what you like.
    If he didn't even get you a card, its kinda sad and that indicates his personality as well. He might not take birthday as important. Have he ever gift his friends for their birthdays? Is he a romantic or more likely a boring person?
    Since it have been weeks, I don't think you should bring it up as in he didn't fulfill your birthday wish. But you should definitely bring it up coz its bothering you, and its not healthy to the relationship if you keep this to yourself. But when you bring it up, you may say something like "Hey, I guess you still remember I want us to go hiking together right? When we have time off together, can we go to blah blah? " And you can also observe his reaction to see if he is excited or not. If he completely forgot you have ever said it, tell him you think you told him this while he asked what you want for birthday.
    Good luck ;)

• Did he spend time with you on your birthday? I hinted him many ideas too, before my birthday, they weren't even pricey. But he gave me a cake instead lol.

• It seems he doesn't like gift giving

• Tell him you're disappointed.

• Aw.. maybe try mentioning to him that you felt hurt that he didn't acknowledge your birthday like he should've. Even something small would've been nice. I would've been happy with Taco Bell lol.