What's so bad about refusing to date a guy that doesn't have a car?

Having a car is ideal in my city. I have a car that I worked shitty jobs to pay for. I have tried dating guys that didn't have a car. They always expected me to drive them home after or we would have this awkward moment after the date and they never offer to pitch in for gas.

It gets extremely annoying after a while.

727

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys have been doing the whole taxi cab thing for years now lol...
    guys generally always do it

now that you have the car and he doesn't - she can't even do it for simple dates lol
    You wouldn't last a day being a male hahaha

Most Helpful Girl

• I totally get it. I live in a city that would be ideal to have a car in also. I probably would not date someone without because that would mean they were not financially stable or afraid to drive, neither of which appeals to me (especially if they were my age). People without cars tend to do a lot of ride mooching without even realizing it. They can never reciprocate pickups, designated driver, etc. Hell I don't even enjoy having friends without card.

What Guys Said 26

• Never saw a lady who wanted to pitch for gas...

But no, it's totally acceptable

• You worked hard for that car, be proud that your reached your goal. Congratulations.

There's nothing wrong with you not being willing to date lazy freeloading guys who thinks that cars run on magic. A guy worth dating who doesn't have a car will both understand that owning a car is more than just putting gas, and he will happily share car expenses with you. If most grownup guys in your city have cars, then it's perfectly reasonable for you to only date guys who have a car.

It's the rule of the 4 "shuns": "Habitation, Transportation, Education, Occupation". If someone is missing one of those, you should shun them.

• Bit different for me, though I can drive, I'm a bit of a... twitchy driver, sometimes a bit reckless as well. Hence I don't usually drive unless there is no choice.

• Its superficial to refuse dating someone because of he has or is, as for the other problem that they're always expecting you to drive them around, you should just be firm and say no.

The ones who aren't worth it won't stick around and to be honest a real gentleman wouldn't ask a lady he is dating to drive him anywhere, he would rather take the bus or walk.

• As women want to be treated as equals. I never known a man that at the end of the date, and drive the woman home, then asked her for gas money.
    What next, he fucked you for free?

• There's nothing wrong with that. Stick to your guns, young lady.

• As you said. Its 'ideal'. That means its not necessary. If you really enjoy your time with the guy, who cares if they can't drive? Giving them a ride shouldn't matter in that case. And for him, that means realizing that you are not his chauffeur and that he can walk/uber himself when you say no. If it bothers you that much though, just start dating guys with cars.

• Cause its materialistic but you make some valid points. Maybe go to places close to his house so he can walk home.

• It's like gold diggers

• Should a woman have to offer to pitch in for gas? After all most dates are that the man has to pick her up. Personally, you should not judge someone upon the actions of another person. I don't have a car but, i would not ask her to drive me anywhere. I would meet her at the date site and if she desires to continue, i would make sure that the date in question is close to other things that we can do.

• Well you have a right to date the kind of guy you want. It makes practical sense to date a mobile guy but with Uber kinds of services available, it should not be a problem ( now the cheap guys who have drop home expectations that's diff).

• When I had my car I rode my mountain bike 99.9% of the time. I wouldn't expect a woman to drive me home I prefer to bike.

• I've never not had a car when i dated somebody although once i had a shitty car and she had a nice car and that's why i have a major car payment and now I'm going into the military because i don't know what else to do with my life since my parents failed me.

• Stop blaming your parents. At your age you've failed yourself.

• What? So because she had a nice car, you made the decision to get a car that was beyond your economical restrictions (also known as peer pressure and mismanagement of finances) and then because you haven't pursued anything your going into the army for the lols.

This is your parents fault how? Did you expect to be given a brand new Audi? A high paying job handed to you?

Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blubbing.

• I didn't explain myself very well - i know myself. Its ok I'm doing what's right

• i am pretty sure if he had xar he wouldn't let you drive and pay for gas... you shpuld not be so whinning unsless he is ypur fuck buddy and you dont have any strings attached. if these little things bother you why dont you tell him upfront

• Not every guy is the same. Apparently you have had some bad dates but a car doesn't make the guy.

• If you could date a taxi driver, you won't have worry about it.😉😜😝

• I understand being pissy of he doesn't give you any gas money. You should not have to ask

• Should a women have a car? No so why should men. I personally am taking driving lessons i dont like them but its usefull.

• Nothing bad about that
    You can date who you like

• You can always ask them to chip in. If he gets offended then kick him to the curb.
    Side note: If I had a nickel for every time my ex chipped in for gas i would have exactly 2 nickels

• Then find someone with a car. Whats the problem again?

• Here in my city having a car is teouble parking charges are a lot

• Uve got to be kidding me

• Women are evil!

• ''we would have this awkward moment after the date and they never offer to pitch in for gas. ''

Yea cos SOOOO many women offer to pitch in for gas when a guy drives them home after picking them up. Bwhahahaha double standards.

• Why Is Having A Car So Important In Order To Date Someone?
    Yes, A Car Is Ideal And Convenient In Most Cities...
    Some People Choose Not To Drive For Many Reasons, While Some Cannot Afford The Expenses Of Having A Car...
    You Have A Car, What Is Wrong With You Driving?
    With Uber Being Popular, And At Least 50% Cheaper Than A Cab, Lots Of Couples Use Uber On Dates, Especially If One Or Both Drink...
    I Think It Is Really Shallow Of You To Require Someone To Have A Car In Order To Date You...

What Girls Said 6

• I don't drive and I have found it hard to date a guy with no care. It is possibly my most shallow standard. But that's life.

• It's your choice.

Personally I have better things to do than quibble over a pound of petrol for driving x far. I'm more interested in the person they are, whether we like each other and have fun. But that's just me.

• If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you, no need to explain that!

• Well one there’s uber and if you live in NYC, or Athens or another major city there the Subway. But if they have car or not shouldn’t be the reason why your not with them or not.

• For the early initial dating, i think each person should have their own transportation. Once you start to get to know them a bit more, like on a friend-level, then it's more acceptable to drive one another home regardless of who does it. At least by then you won't feel like you've been used like a cab driver and if things don't work out, it's not as big of a deal.

• Nothing bad