Do you think political opinions matter when it comes to dating?

• Yes of cource they matter, what makes them any different than any other opinions?
  • No, people who care about this need to grow up.
  • Other/Not sure.
    Vote C

935

What Guys Said 35

• It shouldn’t matter but given the extreme political divide and the hate and emotions that flow from it, being politically compatible is now added to all the other compatibility requirements.

• GROW UP
    how anyone takes a firm stand on the bullcrap fed us is low IQ fare
    want evidence?
    It's everywhere
    currently PBS TV running Viet Nam series and what those politicos did behind closed doors was shamful

another PBS doc was about the great men that build this country and how and the politicos they bought & sold to enhance profits

there's more, find them yourself unless it's more comforting to buried head in sand...

• To me it only matters on how strongly she feels about it. If she is an unhinged leftist SJW feminist who wears her pussy hat at regular marches with the rest of her crazy leftist friends, then I'd pass.

If she believes that abortion is okay, then I suppose I could live with it. I don't necessarily agree, but the libertarian side of me would concede to at least abortion during the 1st trimester. Or say she hates Trump, I am fine with that too, I am not a Trump fanboy although I am conservative. Just so long as it isn't quoting CNN like it is the Holy Bible and rambles on about how the "orange man" will bring nuclear holocaust and is a literal Nazi.

• Dating is all about finding a wife for me, so I'm not going to waste a girl's time if I know that we will eventually have to break up. I want a family, and my future wife and I can't raise children very well if we have drastically different views on family, child-reering, religion, etc.

If the parents-to-be each want to raise their kids in diametrically opposed ways, then their kid is going to grow up with division and confusion in the home regarding basic morals.

That's not to say it can't work out when the parents don't have very strong principles they deem very important, but that's an issue all it's own, is it not?

• Some political opinions, have ethical impacts and extensions as well, so yes those political thesis matter. Now some minor political issues, with no ethical or moral impacts are perfectly ok. I couldn't for example date a girl who would like to have a Kingship over a Democracy , I know extreme political case, at least for my country (no one likes kings here), but nevertheless I couldn't function with that girl.

• Yup they matter to me, its fine if she doesn't have very defined opinions. But if she has strong opinions that oppose mine it wouldn't work out.

• If her opinions don't include the belief that my opinions are rubbish or that there ought to be new laws made that limit my freedom, then it doesn't matter. If she cares about my political beliefs in a bad way, thinks I'm a bad person for them, then I care about that (It's a deal breaker), which is not the same as caring about other her beliefs.

• It's more complicated than simply "grow up," I mean that's kind of ridiculous. Yes, in the long term it matters, people shouldn't think EXACTLY like each other because that just leads to group think and we need people who will challenge us, but to think I could be with someone who hard core against all matters of intellect and decency is laughable.

• Yeah politics don't matter until the communist party rebel and win.

• Real communism has never been tried.

• Oh sorry, because many people kept using that argument i assumed that. Lol

• Thats the point. a lot of people use that same argument so it became a joke.

• It can definitely impact how the relationship goes. Sometimes politics don't always have certain individuals' best interest in mind. I. e if I like the Conservatives, chances are, I don't respect women as much as someone who doesn't.(not always true, just an example).

• Aslong as they aren't batshit crazy weird motherfuckers it should be alright... And yeah no facists so antifa peps are out of the questions they are communists too by the way so...

• Yes, I couldn't date a Marxist

• It does. I won't date a person who likes Trump

• They do matter a lot, thankfully I haven't dated anyone with strong political opinions.
    But I wouldn't date a feminist or a liberal for example.

• Yes, it does matter. Like a liberal and a conservative won't be dating (Most likely) I myself wouldn't date a liberal, since our beliefs are so different. Let's say two adults have a kid, but they'll be arguing over what to teach their kids about when it comes to beliefs. Which could lead to a divorce later on.

• It depends. I could feel confortable dating a girl with different political opinions, whenever her opinions about marriage and divorce are like mine.

• They really should not but with some people they do. Marlena and I were together for 8 years. She was extremely liberal and I was extremely conservative. But it never got in the way of our relationship. Lol we are both independent voters now instead of just sticking to one side.

• I couldn't date anyone who is too far left or right. Those far out people are just a little too far out the Looney Bin

• I wouldn't date a crazy SJW or alt-righter unless they were very, very open to opposing viewpoints.

• There is no way I'll ever date a socialist/communist, I'm open to everybody else.

• A little bit

• They do matter only when everything is getting serious. If you are only dating political views don't matter

• As long as we can respect each other's opinions then it's fine

• I would date but not progress. I dont want to be infected with liberalism

• Depending on if she's to be your soul mate. If you're just fucking her, who cares?

• To an extent yes, just as long as they aren’t extremist on either side.

• Nah not really

• I think they matter, in how people handle them. Are they bitter or can they discuss rationally

• Depends how much they let it control their life

• Depends on how extreme. I wouldn't date a nazi 😂

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 9

• In some respects yes, I think total opposite opinions on everything is bad... but depending on how much your political beliefs matter to you if its a deal breaker or not.

• When those political opinions are about things like reproductive rights and access, lgbt rights, religious freedom, etc then hell yes they matter. If the difference of opinion is things like what the ideal role of government is in our lives, fiscal challenges, etc., no I don't think those opinions matter all thst much. A fiscal hawk can certainly be in a respectful and loving relationship with a tax and spend liberal. But someone who's backwards on social issues just isn't gonna be compatible with someone who is progressive on those issues.

• I would have said yes months ago. But the GREAT guy I'm dating is conservative and I am liberal. It's weird - all of my friends think it's strange but we understand something very important. Politics like love, is messy and complicated. The two are not mutually exclusive, but I can tell you it's not the end of the world if you disagree. The two of us have learned that respect is imperative. If you lose respect for the person because of their political views, there's no hope. If you find yourself dating someone the opposite of you politically, it's not necessarily the end of the world. Have open and honest conversation, ask questions, and listen to understand.

• Yes, to an extent.

• They matter but shouldn't be the main reason why

• It should matter to the point where if you do have different views he doesn't put you down for yours. Just because people have different opinions doesn't mean we should lose respect.

• But would you rather be with someone who agrees with most of your political opinions or someone who disagrees with most of them?

• I think it depends on the person. A little disagreement is good because healthy debate is good. But if I had to choose I would rather someone who agrees.

• Depends. If he might become a political figure some day then it matters. If not, nah, we good.

• I believe that respect is common sense, loyalty is common sense too. That is my politicky point of view. I ain't into politics coz it is not the shit that gonna save the world.

• Not important for me