Would you date someone who's family oriented and overly protective?

i can see why some people dont want to date a family oriented person. the thing is i'm overly protective of the person i'm dating. i have always been protective of my family especially my younger brother. now that i'm on my own i became more protective of my parents

• yeah <3
  • um nope 😡

4227

What Girls Said 42

• Yes I would. I think it’s a good thing, better than other way round.

• Probably not

• I don't have a problem with family oriented. With overly protective, I guess it depends on the level of overly protective. I mean, does he want me to call him and make sure that I got in safe, or speak to me every day, look through my phone? That I'm all ok with. Or are we talking controlling over-protective like wants to know where I'm at and who I'm with every second of the day or won't let me go to the mall by myself because there are other men there or something like that? Those kind of things would probably get to me. I wouldn't cheat on any guy I'm with, but that kind of control/clinginess would make me feel smothered.

• Yes.

• I’ve always been in one sided relationships. One dating relationship and the rest friendships where it’s clear that I care more about the other person. So it would be a nice change, probably a bit overwhelming at first. I’m super jealous of my friend’s boyfriend. Her dorm is next to his, and he would walk her back. And he would call, not text, even when they were on a break from dating, every day to ask how her day was. As long as you’re able to be protective without being controlling, girls will appreciate you.

• That wouldn’t bother me one bit

• That's fine within reason

• Yeah

• Probably not, it's just so different from me. It's not that I don't love my family, we're just a bit unconventional. Especially if it was longterm and to the point of having kids I would be rather apprehensive, because I really don't think protective is the best way to raise kids, and I want some consensus between parents. In what ways are you protective?

• I honestly can't do with either of those things, family oriented or over protective.
    1) Loving your family is one thing but making your life revolve around them is,,, so extra don't @ me.
    2) I can take care of myself and I don't need someone to be overly protective. I want a boyfriend not a bodyguard

• What do you define as "over protective"
    If it's to the point to were I feel it hinders my way of life then or when it becomes possessive, no
    If it's your protective but trust the other person enough to be on their own, sure
    Some protectiveness is fine, as long as it does not start to control the other person's life

• Yes.

• Yea aa long as he s nit controlling

• Overly protective? No. I need my independence. I’m like a cat. I’ll be 100% loyal but you don’t smother me.

• It depends on what he truly means by "overly protective." For some guys that means they puff their chests out when you walk through a group, or he puts you on the other size of the road away from traffic. And for others it means they're over-possessive.

• Yes...

• Sure, it's fine

• I will be very rebellious and I'll fight you a lot to get my freedom and privacy, but if you can deal with that, I'm okay with the overprotective part. The family oriented, it will be a bonus if you're filial to your parents because I am too.

• As long as your protective isn't controlling in a relationship

• Family oriented yes but it depends on the length of being protective. I’ve experienced that from a guy once and it kind of turned me off. It was high school and he’d basically monitor everything I do and I hated it.

• Ehh... I wouldn't mind

• I personally have my family issues and don't like being around them, but I find protective guys so sweet and I love seeing when older siblings look out for there younger siblings, I know I always wished my older brother had been nicer when I was growing up.

• Family oriented, yes! Protective, yes! "Overly" protective, no! I wouldn't prefer anything that is too much. There should always be a limit.

• Yeah

• Family orientated, yes. Overly protective, I don't think so.

• I wouldn't mind dating a family oriented person, but being overprotective would annoy me. I am quite adenturous and very free as a person, and i need my space. I would get quite pissed if someone constantly asked where I am, where I'm going, or even woulsn't let me go places.

• Hell yeah

• Most likely not. I prefer to have my freedom without someone breathing down my neck. I can take care of myself & actually prefer to fight my own battles.
    & family-oriented... depends. He wants a tight relationship with his family? Fine, just don't drag me into it.

• Family oriented, yes. Overly protective, depends what it means. When I was in Japan and walking down a hill doing lots of U-turns, there was a couple before us, and the guy would ALWAYS switch from left to right from her JUST to be on the 'dangerous' side, so he can catch her in case she stumbles. It was hilarious, because he had to do it fast to keep the pace with her and tripped her in the process and almost made her fall. I would not want that kind of protection.

• I am not really against the idea but it doesn't particularly attract me neither.

• More from Girls
    12

What Guys Said 27

• Been there done that, have the scars to prove it.

I will never date another person that is overly family oriented, don't need the drama of them being into everyone's lives and everyone into theirs.

I am also weary of over protective people as well, have been caught up to many times in the drama of someone defending someone even when they know that person is totally in the wrong.

I love my family and do a lot of family oriented things with them, but we don't live in each other pockets. I am a loyal protective friend, but I see the good and the bad in people and I will not defend someone who is doing wrong.

• yeah

• If by family oriented you mean that you kiss your family’s azz and go overboard trying to please them... no. Not on purpose.

• Yes, absolutely.

• sure i would. im also very overly protective of my family and loved ones

• Yeah i would date a girl overprotective and family oriented.

• Yes.

• Fucking every girl I have ever liked has had a loving family that they love and are loyal too. Of course this leached out into their childhood friends which makes it impossible for you to ever get close to them because you will always be an outsider to their perfect system that is so perfect that it would br insane to want to add to it so you're screwed.

• Are you caring or controlling?

• I'm sort of protective and can be family oriented with the right person, so it depends on the person

• Thats the goal if you want LTR !!!
    They are less likely to cheat.

• That's fine within reason

• Probably all the more reason to love them. :)
    I mean, the word "overly" is involved, but how much is too much is an opinion and I wouldn't easily find someone to be too protective. She'd just need to pay enough attention to me too. lol

• Maybe

• Family oriented sure... overprotective no.

• Protective and family oriented can mean a lot of different things.

• um nope

• What do you mean with overly protective?

• I am not dating the girls family? if the family makes my life a hell I'll start taking measures tho

• Nope, I hate overly protected people

• I'm very protective of my loved ones and family. I keep it subtle because it would be overwhelming and annoying to them if I was openly protective all the time. I'm looking out for them when they don't even realize it though.

• Because even I'm over protected about my younger brother and family. And I may be wrong.

• I would bc I'm darting a girl who's parent are over protective but the thing is they don't let her gave a boyfriend

• You are a nurturer. Of course. A good catch.

• Nope, I hate control freaks

• I would because it shows that they can also defend your honor

• Maybe