What do you think of guys buying flowers for girls on a first date?

So this guy messaged me on Okcupid a few days ago and we arranged to see each other yesterday! It was our first date and we hadn't seen each other before that!
He had bought me flowers and chocolate which was nice and thoughtful of him! We went for a coffee and we talked about random stuff and he kinda seemed full of shit at some point! Then he mentioned somebody has been using his bank card making purchases around the world and he had to change his card! Then he suggested to go watch a movie and he called his brother to top up his account so he could pay for the movie! I did suggest him that I can pay and it's not a problem at all but he said no and that he has to pay because he asked me for a date! We did kinda hit it off and he made me laugh a lot but as I said he seemed full of shot at some point but I tried not to judge him and just enjoyed our time! Opinion appreciated!

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I think he's probably broke or not well off financially. Sounds like he's making up excuses why he had to ask for money. First of all the bank reimburses stolen money and why would he not have credit cards, excuses. About the flowers I guess it's a nice gesture but it's cliche and comes off as trying to hard.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• He was probably really nervous, but if your gut thinks he's a piece of garbage that's a red flag you need to watch closely.
    Sometimes it's a cultural thing, sometimes it's pride, that causes men to want to take on the financial burdens of the first date, but it's concerning he didn't have enough money and needed to call his brother. I know I personally want someone who knows how to be in control of their finances so I would proceed with caution...

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea... when he was talking to his brother asking for card details cuz he was trying to book cinema tickets online they started in English and then changed into Portuguese (his native language) which I understand he did it for safety purposes. Then when he was done he showed me his ID card and driving licence and said "I'm showing you these so you don't think I'm lying to you" it was kinda strange that he told me that on the first date I mean it's non of my business if those were his I'd and driving licence or not, I mean it was only the first date and early days there's nothin serious between us! Then later we were joking and laughing and he mentioned having a kids together which was kind of a red flag, he was constantly trying to hold my hand and put his arm around me while watching the movie and I was kinda of trying to tell him to get off me nicely! I don't really touch people up and down on the first few dates! I feel like he's kind of trying to rush me into things!

• Proceed with caution, then...

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Guy is probably uncomfortable with something. His job, wealth, or something like that. Try to politely confront him about that at some point (maybe not right at the start of next date). If he is sensitive about it there is not much you can do, even if his wallet status is not important to you. Wealth = worth mentality is still very strong in male culture.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, i like the idea of giving a girl flowers on the first date.
    But i think the guy sounds like a bad guy to date if he could
    hardly pay for the date.

0|0
    0|0
  • He is trying too hard in my opinion. I'd be on my guard if I were you.

0|2
    0|0
  • it means he has done lot of study or he have experience on dating.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I think it's definitely a sweet gesture but it can come across as a bit too much or trying too hard on the first date. I kind of think flowers are a waste of money too. They are beautiful while they last but then they die and you have to throw them out. If a guy did buy me flowers, I would never say that to him though, I would just smile and say 'thank you.'

0|0
    0|0
  • Buying flowers seems clich√© to me, but many girls enjoy the kind gesture because it's the thought that counts. He must have researched how to plan an ideal first date.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hmm sounds alittle dodgy too me. I wouldn't cut ties as you could it could be a complete misjudgement but definitely keep on your guard.

0|0
    0|0
  • Issa Clich√©.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes