Should I Give Dating My Friend A Try?

I'm 16 and she is 17.

Probably my best friend of all time is a girl who I hung out with all the time at primary school, but when we left I didn't speak to her again until January this year, when she confessed to having a crush on me from Year 6 all the way until Year 11 (how she could like me in that way as an 11 year old is beyond me!). Anyway, I rejected her because not only do I just not like her in that way that much but I was going through some heartbreak (unrequited love, not a breakup).

All these months later and I still haven't had any luck getting a girlfriend, and neither has she (boyfriend hahaha). We're both really socially awkward and I know we're gonna be single for ages; neither of us have even had out first kiss yet. I feel like I'm kind of missing an opportunity here - what if I did date her and found I did like her in that way; I mean, we have loads of similar interests, have fun as friends and she's different to how she was in primary school (I based my decision to reject on what I had seen of her then, but you know, she did that with me too).

I feel bad if I did ask her though cause to reject someone and then change your mind and I feel kinda wrong dating someone I'm not interested in like that and if I wanted to break up with her I know she'd be so upset (she has depression or anxiety or something and she's quite sensitive).

03