Why is the guy often older than the woman in relationships?

Often the guy is either a couple of years or a decade older than the woman in relationships, but it's not very often I see the opposite. I want to know what the reason behind it is. #Dating #AgeAndRelationship #OlderGuys
Why is the guy often older than the woman in relationships?Why is the guy often older than the woman in relationships?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Here’s my interpretation. It’s been scientifically proven that most women “mature” faster than men. Mentally, a lot of us are a few years ahead (and don’t misinterpret this for being smarter, that’s not what I’m getting at). So by dating an older guy, we feel more of a connection. They’re “on our level” to say the least. It’s very rare that you’ll see things the other way around, unless the younger guy is very mature.

3|2
    0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Biology. Men mature later in life in general then women for one, for another reproduction favors younger women with older men. A woman has a finite time to reproduce on top of which since giving birth is so hard on the body the younger she is the more likely she will survive it and bounce back to have more children, this makes it more desirable for a man to have a younger woman to reproduce with. For women, because reproduction hampers her physical abilities (being pregnant slows her down hindering her ability to defend herself or flee as well as making it more difficult to acquire resources, causes her to consume greater calories and thus greater resources etc.) it means that she will need a partner who can produce those resources and protect her as she is at her most vulnerable. This means an older man who has had time to accumulate power and resources and thus be better at providing for her. So we are biologicaly predisposed towards this kidn of relationship, older man with younger woman.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 16

• I completely agree with the scientific and social reasons already stated on here, but I think it's important to talk about historical ones.

Men have always chosen younger women in history -- ones where the age gap is perverted and disgusting. While the gap has closed, and it is no longer allowed for men to marry thirteen-year-old girls, the reason women are always younger may be due to that, a historical/cultural thing.

2|1
    0|2
    • Not all or even most, but a lot of women prefer older men based on what I've heard. The pedophilia part in history is disgusting though and that's definitely a factor.

• Oh, yes; I completely agree! Even I am more comfortable in a relationship when the man is older. I just sometimes wonder if that is, even a small, factor in my attraction to them.

• I've never gotten the appeal either. I don't like older men; though I'm annoyingly always asked out by 50-somethings. I want someone in my own age range. 5-year rule here.

1|4
    0|0
  • it is because women of the same age as men are more mature generally speaking
    thats why an older man has the maturity level that matches that of the woman
    so the relationship is more stable as they are both at the same level of thinking

1|2
    0|1
  • A quick google search should answer your question:
    1) www.theguardian.com/.../evolution.genetics

2) www.worldofbuzz.com/.../

0|2
    0|0
  • I think whether we like it or not it is a bit biological since eggs have a faster expirey date than sperm. As well as cultural since older men should be wiser than younger ones due to more life experience.

1|3
    0|0
  • because they want a rich husband.
    You dont see mens doing that because they dont want to sleep with a
    woman with sagging breasts. VERY SIMPLE
    If you are rich maybe you can find a super hot guy with tons of muscles to f´ uk you but this only happens when you have money to pay him.

0|1
    0|0
  • originally it is because of statuses, patriarchal ways of old. arranged marriages is usually older wealthy males who can afford to hand in dowry for the young lady. Young girls were primed to look after older men. It is one of many reasons.

1|1
    0|2
    • And that couldn't just be men liking younger women in the first place?

• Show All
    • Well I owuld contest that it is actually history, but even assuming that at least the history books lay out the facts, your theorizing on them is still wrong and doesn't follow to your conclusion.

• @AllThatSweetJazz see what you are doing to me? good bye

• I question it too. I never saw the appeal of older men.

0|4
    0|0
  • My mum said it’s because guys take longer to mature in most cases

5|1
    0|4
  • Because men want younger women. It's that simple.

Plus, they older a man is the bigger the age gap becomes in terms of who he wants to date. Women in their 30's only attract men in their 40's, and women in their 40's only attract men in their 50's and 60's.

I'm 47 and my friend who is 50 and I joke about how not only do guys our age and younger not talk to us, they don't even SEE us. They will let doors slam in our faces or shove us aside at bars because they don't even register our presence.

She was saying it's really bad for her mother, who has difficulty walking, because once you get over 70 it's not just annoying but hazardous to be invisible.

0|0
    0|1
    • I'm 32 and I attract men of all age lol.

• Show All
    • Why is it like that?

• Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 23

• In general (and with acknowledged individual exceptions), women have more social value than men when they are in their teens and 20s, as they are young, attractive, and fertile (in the first half of their fertile years when they have the best chance of having healthy children). Men, on the other hand, tend to lack status and resources at those ages, having relatively little to offer.

Around age 30, the value curves finally meet, and after 30, men's social value generally keeps going up, while women's go down.

Because of that, a woman tends to hit her peak value in he 20s, and men in his 30s or 40s. It then shouldn't be a huge surprise to see couples in those age groups - each commands a high value and can attract a similarly high-value mate.

0|2
    0|0
  • This may get me a few pink thumbs down, but it's because the truth hurts. Like it or not, there is still that natural predisposition that women want a man that will provide for her, protect her, be stronger, smarter and wiser. A man being older naturally appeals to women in this way as they are generally more established in life and carry many of the traits I just mentioned.

0|3
    1|2
  • For me, it is 7 years up or down, but I am not going to deny a relationship possibility if I met someone younger or older and we clicked very well. While I think of some younger women look very sexy, I find the mentality and attitude of older women to be far more attractive and relatable. An experienced older woman is almost irresistible to me.

1|1
    0|0
  • Women tend to date older guys especially in college because women like more established guys and tend to date up. Guys of womens age especially at college level tend to also not have as much because it takes time to get your life together. Women also usually date up which doesn't help any young broke college guys.

As men get older they get an education and job younger women tend to show interest and guys tend to date them because they're established in life. At this point women their own age may be tending to notice them also but guys tend to look younger. Usually it's beauty reasons. Though sometimes men date younger because women their own age or older haven't shown much interest in them and they have moved on from them as they get older. There are even Not saying that I agree or disagree with it, because I'm just calling it how I see it.

I won't say that women mature faster than men because there are a hell of a lot of immature women out there (same with men).

On the flip side a woman may want to dste an older guy because he has more life experience or they feel like he's older so he may be more suited to taking care of him. I was talking to a female friend a few years ago about the kind of guy she wanted. First thing was a guy who was taller than her, the second older than her, and the third was more successful. I ask her if she'd date a guy who was shorter than her but more successful. She said nope, he had to be older because she wanted someone with more experience, and taller because she's attracted to taller men (she was taller herself too).

Some of it could also be csrried on from the past, because younger girls used to also date older guys and we may be at the point where that slowly changing and becoming less popular. Some older women are looking for younger men. There are also some younge rmen looker for older women (and this has to do with younger men wanted women who are more mature. From what I've heard older women are less likely to play games, but I've never dated one so who knows).

0|0
    0|0
  • Women like older men and men like younger women. Women go for wealth and social status and men go for beauty

0|4
    0|0
  • ya this frequently happens with middle-aged men who have been divorced already, their divorced wife was close around his age but then when they remarry, they often end up with a woman more than a decade younger than him

0|2
    0|0
  • a lot of women like older men and older men like younger women.

0|1
    0|0
    • older men are often more established and are able to take care of themselves. People say that women mature faster but i've seen enough instances to say the opposite too, leading me to believe that it depends on the person and not the gender in cases of maturation time

• they believe they are more mature they guys their age and believe older guys are more mature... complete bs.

1|3
    2|0
  • The younger she is (post puberty) the more and better she can breed. The older he is (pre retirement) the more and better he can provide.

0|3
    0|0
  • Because men age like whiskey, and women age like milk.

0|3
    3|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes