Who do you think should pay on the first date or dates afterwards?

I personally think that you should always split the bill on the first date and split or take turns paying the bill afterwards. It shows class in a girl if she's willing to pay her half and respects that it's not just her time being used for the first date. Most girls nowadays I feel have a sense of entitlement and a bit of an ego. Who do you think should pay on the first date or dates afterwards??
  • Who do you think should pay on the first date or dates afterwards??Him
    Vote A
  • Who do you think should pay on the first date or dates afterwards??Her
    Vote B
  • Who do you think should pay on the first date or dates afterwards??Split the bill
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• My mom and sisters always told me that guys always pay for the dates and stuff.

Personally being who I am and knowing how much I hate it when people actually spend money on me I would always go for the cheapest thing on the menu (which ends up with them ordering something for me lol) or try (and fail) to go halves on the bill.

I don’t know what it is about that but I just don’t like it, it makes me feel bad

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • You are the definition of a rational, kind and empathetic girl in my opinion. Yes back in the day when the man was typically the "breadwinner" in society, obviously the girl would not even be able to pay her meal. This tradition of the man paying just passed down along the generations and became the standard. However nowadays, when it's pretty much equal in income, the man should not have to pay for both parties.

• Right I totally agree!!! This one time this guy got really upset at me because I didn’t want him to pay for it lol which he ended up winning the argument anyway, I paid on the next one tho! Taking turns is okay too!

• Taking turns is perfect. I love girls that have the class to say "I'm equally in this!"

Most Helpful Guy

• If you split it, it shows you can work together. It also shows no one is a gold digger. Best option.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• It depends on the people. For instance, my boyfriend always pays when we go out because he has a full time job wheras I am a student and the majority of my time is spent studying and doing homework. He basically told me I shouldn't even get a job because my GPA would drop.
    But once I'm done with all my schooling and become a doctor obviously I will pay for him (at least if we are still together) because it would make sense.

0|1
    0|0
  • “Girls have a sense of entitlement”
    Explain this. Why do you feel that is?

0|1
    0|0
    • A lot of girls I've met believe that guy's should be the one to pay, not just for restaurant dates, but for condoms, etc. They think that they can say what they want to guys, but guys have to be extremely careful about what they say to girls. In the online dating world, girls are really egotistical. This current society empowers females... just my opinion. Obviously not all of them are like that, but in North America I've noticed the vast majority are.

• Same as you really. Each pay for yourselves on the first date and then afterwards, either split it or take turns paying the whole amount.

0|2
    0|0
  • I think its upto the people on the date, because I went on a date earlier this year and the bill was pretty high, so I insisted we pay half/half, but he refused and paid it all, so It really depends but I think splitting it

1|0
    0|0
  • Men have to pay for everything already. Woman don't have to do shit but sit on their ass and look good

0|2
    0|0
  • him, bcs basically men earns more than women. but if women earns more than men, can share or just women.

0|1
    0|1
  • Dating
    HE pays for life & fun while I ensure the living is fun
    also proving that he can take care of me & our problems in life ahead
    Marriage
    Whoever is flush will pay for fun times we both share equally in. This could be a split thing and even split after competition of a vacation or purchase, et al. if not so sure the investment would be a good one.

Generally got to say not hard & fast rules when BOTH desire fun times that neither can afford alone, then of course SPLIT memorable times that never come your way again... money can be replaced, TIME cannot and few great love matches out there, pal

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd like a guy to offer to pay himself, but I wouldn't let him.
    I think it's better to go Dutch.

0|0
    0|0
  • The one who asked to go out should pay.

0|2
    0|0
    • The guy is usually the one to initiate things because that's how society is... man makes the first move... so is that not a little unfair to you? Lol

• @Ayer93 Just think of it as a different way of saying "men should pay". They know exactly what they're doing, lol...

• @AdamThomas yeah fair enough 😂

• Who invited the other to go on a date

0|2
    0|0
    • I can see how that would be seen as a factor. I still think if she agreed to go on the date with the guy, it's mutual especially since guys are generally the ones to initiate things so they should split the bill.

• If you invite me do spend time with me you pay. I pay for my friends also (cinema, dinner)

• Well to each their own. Personally when I go out with friends everyone just pays their own bill. I much prefer it that way.

• Anyone could pay or split it depends on them

0|1
    0|0
  • The guy.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it just depends on the people :)

0|0
    0|0
  • The guy

0|1
    0|0
  • I think as a general rule it should be split. But it does depend on the individuals themselves. When I was a student my date refused to let me contribute any money because he was earning a good wage while I was in my final 6 months of study struggling to finish, which I really appreciated more than I can say.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes... agreed. If someone is struggling financially or isn't as financially independent that's completely understandable and would also say it's on me.

• Show All
    • The trouble for you guys is you have to weed out the women who expect it.

• I appreciate the honest input.

• everybody should pay his own

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe that it is up to the two people in question. Sometimes one person has more disposable income than the other. Sometimes one partner is still a student and doesn't work yet.

They both have to talk and decide what works for them. In the US, it is still fairly common for people to assume the man will pay in heterosexual relationships, so if people want to do something else, they really should discuss it.

I'm sure other cultures handle it differently.

Best to just be open bout it and figure it out together.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Respectfully i won't vote. But i'd rather adjust a new option on my own.
    D. (Reach a mutual agreement).

If you are dating; means you are old enough to be considered a reasonable; responsible and logical adult. So discuss the matter like two mature adults and pick up an option that suits both of the parties.

Honestly; i am entirely tired and feel fulfilled of this discussion regarding dates and payments. It must be the case of "Each to their own" for everyone. There should not be a rule; law or a forceful indication that a gender must do this; or people must do that. Expectations are wrong to an extend for either sides. Make sure to just discuss before hand and become aware how the person you are dating with is thinking; believing and would do individually. Do not generalize an overall expectation while dating.

Furthermore; personally i want to pay. Just the end of the story. I don't care what other men desire or want to do."Each to their own" very respectfully. Their lives; their choices; my life; my choices. I have been raised by certain traditional beliefs and this being part of them. I do proud of it and i am just so comfortable in my skin performing it. Although; if the girl i am dating with have a different ideology; desires and willingness. We discuss; We reach an agreement and we peacefully perform the agreement. just as simple as that. If someone wants to share; split or whatever; I won't have a problem. But basically and originally i'd pay and i'd move for it as a default. I enjoy it and i feel comfortable with my life; values; belief and principles to remain the way i am unless my opposite offers a new ideology.

Good Luck.

1|1
    0|0
    • It's always an awkward topic to bring up though. For the most part I agree with you though.

• I don't think that there's a "should" to any of this. Clearly from reading here, the current meta seems to be to split the bill, but I've always paid for dates and what not. I like doing it as for one, it ensures that the girl doesn't under tip. Why do I care so much? I have no idea, but I do.

1|1
    0|0
    • I agree that girls do generally undertip, but I always give a tip on my end regardless of who pays.

• Gentleman pays first, split afterwards. I've known a few girls who insist quite confidently it's split first date also.. in that case I'll split.

Dates afterwards 50/50, unless it's known in advance someone is shouting a 'treat' or special occassion.. or you're taking turns.

1|0
    0|0
  • Be a gentleman, first date is on a man. Or if u don't want to pay. Do something that doesn't have to be paid for...

1|0
    0|0
    • You can be a gentlemen without having to pay. Guys aren't the breadwinners anymore. That's an old concept. And the tradition of the guy paying has just been passed down generation after generation. In this era it makes no sense to me unless you're trying to win her with money, in which case by all means go ahead. This is just my opinion though and I say it with complete respect for you own opinion.

• Show All
    • That way if u like her, u can ask her on the walk wether she thinks a guy should pay for a dinner or split bills.

• No it's faster to find out if she's my kind of girl if I just take her out to dinner lol.

• If I ask a girl on a date, I'll pay because that's who I am.

It's a date, you have to impress the other person (being the asker) and paying is a very little, yet nice gesture. 👌

1|0
    0|0
  • Find something other than going on a first date that costs money. This ain't rocket science.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I ask a girl out I’m paying for it since she had not planned for a date it’d be rude and unmanly to expect her to contribute a dime. If she insists then ok

0|0
    0|0
  • Whoever offerd to go shoukd pay (generally the guy) but the other person need to at least offer to pay or split the bill.

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually, the first date should be low cost anyways, like coffee and a bagel, so forking up the 5 or 6 bucks to pay for her shouldn't be that big of a deal.

If it is more money, like say tapas and drinks, the guy should probably still cover it so he doesn't look like a cheapskate (traditions die hard), but a good woman will at least offer to pay half. That is when you can say "next time, you can cover the drinks" or "I got it this time, but you can get the next date." Whether you actually let her pay for the next date is up to you.

0|0
    0|0
  • The guy should pay and the girl should repay him with sex.

0|0
    0|1
  • Why pay at all? Why invest money in someone you don't know?

0|0
    0|0
  • Both because she might be using him for food

0|2
    0|0
  • Whoever invited first should offer to pay.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes