Dating your coworker should be a secret?

223

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that depends on the situation. I dated a co-worker and we kept it secret for a while because we were concerned that our company might move one of us to a different department if they knew. Eventually we got serious enough that we felt like we had to be open about it because it was probably pretty obvious anyway. It turned out that we had no problems with it. The HR department didn't like it very much but our manager just told them that there was no problem and it was not affecting work and so we stayed together in the same department.

Fortunately for us, the relationship lasted long term and we were no longer working together by the time it ended because a broken office romance can be very difficult on not only the two people in the relationship but the other co-workers and the boss also because the tension after a break up can be really difficult on everyone.

Do you work in a larger company or a very small one? If it's a larger one, do you know if there are any policies on things like that. I think most companies prohibit relationships between a boss and someone that reports to them, but I'm not sure what if any policies they have on peers dating.

If it's a very small company you might run the risk of one of you being fired if the relationship fails because if things are toxic between you the boss will have to eliminate that, probably by firing one of you.

I guess my opinion is that maybe what I did is the best approach. Try to keep it secret until you determine if it's going to be a long term serious relationship and then share if it becomes one. Be aware that a lot of people are pretty perceptive so there's probably a good chance that rumors will start even before you are open about it. If they do, you'll have to decide how to deal with those.

Most Helpful Girl