Dating your coworker should be a secret?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that depends on the situation. I dated a co-worker and we kept it secret for a while because we were concerned that our company might move one of us to a different department if they knew. Eventually we got serious enough that we felt like we had to be open about it because it was probably pretty obvious anyway. It turned out that we had no problems with it. The HR department didn't like it very much but our manager just told them that there was no problem and it was not affecting work and so we stayed together in the same department.

Fortunately for us, the relationship lasted long term and we were no longer working together by the time it ended because a broken office romance can be very difficult on not only the two people in the relationship but the other co-workers and the boss also because the tension after a break up can be really difficult on everyone.

Do you work in a larger company or a very small one? If it's a larger one, do you know if there are any policies on things like that. I think most companies prohibit relationships between a boss and someone that reports to them, but I'm not sure what if any policies they have on peers dating.

If it's a very small company you might run the risk of one of you being fired if the relationship fails because if things are toxic between you the boss will have to eliminate that, probably by firing one of you.

I guess my opinion is that maybe what I did is the best approach. Try to keep it secret until you determine if it's going to be a long term serious relationship and then share if it becomes one. Be aware that a lot of people are pretty perceptive so there's probably a good chance that rumors will start even before you are open about it. If they do, you'll have to decide how to deal with those.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 22

• From a man’s perspective, dating anyone from the same workplace should not happen. It is too dangerous.
    Vengeful bitches will lie and try to exact revenge by destroying a man’s career through false allegations.
    Women in the same workplace are 1000 per cent off limits.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends. If you work directly together and or one of then is the boss the definitely. You want to be professional at work and to avoid the appearance of favoritism.

If it doesn't get to serious then you should be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I didn't manage to keep it secret and now we're not together anymore, even though we meet at work. If it happened to you, you know it can be quite embarrassing at times.

0|0
    0|0
  • Keeping it a secret from other coworkers is fine but you should check if the workplace has a dating policy and mabey have a chat with HR (if the place you work at has a Human Resources department)

0|0
    0|0
  • probably... if there are rules against it.. but better not to shit where you eat...

0|2
    0|0
  • What a horrible idea... The two should never be mixed.. Its all good as long as the relationship is working out, but if it doesn't, oh boy oh boy..

0|1
    0|0
  • its really there opinion if they are ok with the office making jokes or being respectful of it its there choice to say or not

0|0
    0|0
  • Different companies have different policies. The company I worked for claimed to be totally against fraternizing but then allowed this upper executive marry a subordinate and then not to my surprise transferred them to another state. It's such double standards it made me sick and my title was a step above the guy who got transferred, lol. I knew about it, told him the rules and evidently he went over my head? I could go on but... lol. My best advice to you is keeping it quiet. Before you fall completely in love with him, see what the future "COULD" & I'm serious, could hold for you. If one of you has to change jobs to continue the relationship is that something one of you can handle? If it's just an affair going nowhere still keep quiet but the consequences won't be as severe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the employer. Some make it a firing offense. For them, definitely hide it.

0|0
    0|0
  • That is completely up to you. I don't believe there's a rule against it lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah don't let other people in the office know you're getting some from Josh in the maintenance room

0|0
    0|0
  • I never understood what the big deal is about dating yiur co worker

0|0
    0|0
  • Bad idea to date a co worker, but it should be a secret if you are.

0|1
    0|0
  • On work its quite risky, but outside? Well , gossipers

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes
    It is a secret and it should be kept secret until marriage

0|0
    0|0
    • Bahaha what?

• Show All
    • You mean others will start gossip and both of us.. me and him will not be able to do our work so good because of that, right?

• Yeah that... And... Also, you both will feel the difference... More concentration would be on partner rather than work...

• Yes or not at all un lass you like seeing hime every day

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Always.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah express yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • dating for what?

0|0
    0|0