Should single parents date if they can't have more kids?

I'm 27 with two children at home and I want to date but it seems selfish. I don't want to "have a father figure for the kids" or have him "become part of the family" so should I just stop dating? Also, I chose to have my tubes tied so the men I date now would have to accept a very slow dating process without the possibility of having his own family with me. Sure I wish things were different but this is just how things are now and it really is a lot to expect in a relationship. Give up or give in? 🤔

518

Most Helpful Guy

• I married a woman who I knew had a hysterectomy. There are lots of guys like me who do not want to have kids. In fact something smart you could do is to go to The Hamptons in the summertime where lots of single rich guys had vasectomies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hamptons+vasectomy

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • What? Wait a second, you're a married woman and also a guy who doesn't want kids and you suggest that I go to the Hamptons to find sterile men and follow some link about vasectomies?

No, thank you this is not the type of advice I'll consider but i appreciate your time

• Lol no thank you I've had an epiphany over the past few minutes but I appreciate your positivity

• Well, if you are sophisticated enough to properly use words like epiphany, then you are certainly marriage material.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok here is my outlook on this, there are guys out there that do not want children or eventually will see your children as their own. But when someone doesn't want children in general this is where you may run into a problem if you ever want to progress your relationship with them. You say you dont want them to be a father figure to your kids however if they are involved in your life and your kids are young chances are he will be UNLESS you just plan on dating occasionally and have no real stepping stone and keep it at a constantly level. If your kids are older then it may be different slightly however considering your age I couldnt image they're that old.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • It's complicated. And messy

It's safer not to although I'm young

Thank you