How long should I wait until going back into dating after recent break up?

The break up happened last week and was just wondering how long I should wait. We’ve dated about half a year. What’s a good amount of time to be safe to say that you’re over it and ready for someone new?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not a matter of how long you feel like you need to wait, it's when you're emotionally and mentally ready. I hate to say it, but if it was a half a year relationship and the next week you're ready to date someone else, it doesn't seem like you were very content with the relationship. From what I'm thinking, it sounds like you're asking when it's socially acceptable to find another boyfriend and when people won't judge you for jumping into another relationship almost immediately.

I know this sounds so mean, but if you were really invested in the relationship you wouldn't be ready to date again a week later. Healing takes time, especially from someone who means (or meant) a lot to you. A week later and you're already over it, sounds like a very low-key and simple relationship to me that wasn't very serious. Don't feel like it's time to jump back into things too. If you need time to yourself, go ahead.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Best answer by far. I’m definitely not thinking of any other men at the moment it was more of a question of how long will the pain last loosing someone and letting someone new into your life.

• Alright, I think I got it and your reasoning. Thank you by the way for the MHO and not being equally nasty back to me. The more and more I re-read the answer it sounds worse and worse. 🙂

• You’ve pointed a lot of good things. Don’t feel bad about it.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• I broke up with my girlfriend in March. I decided to wait this time before even going on a date since I rebounded before right away and didn't feel like I made a good decision.
    It was 5 months before I had a date and I felt like my head was now very clear and I was not going to carry anything over to a new relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly it's up to you as other people have said. If you want to start seeing someone else don't waste any time, if you still dont feel emotionally ready then wait and be yourself. Obviously be upfront with your ex and tell them you're not trying to hurt them by moving on so quickly, I just think that the grace period between relationships is purely subjective and based on your personal desires and feelings towards others.

1|0
    0|0
  • i say stay single for a few months. take time to recover. figure out who you are as a single person and what you really want in a person. just stay this way until you will meet the person that will get you back into the game :)

0|0
    0|0
  • That's purely up to you and your emotional state if you're ready then you're ready if you're not then you're not your best bet is not to get too attached to anyone you can always do better and mostly you're probably just wasting your time enjoy people create relationships and don't get hung up on anybody

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, it depends on your situation and when you're ready for it. For me, I still can't get over my ex and it's been 5 years so it depends on you really

1|0
    0|0
  • Thats completely up to you. And there is nothing wrong with rebounds

0|0
    0|0
  • When you feel like you can carry a conversation again without mentioning your ex.

1|0
    0|0
  • You gotta listen to your feelings, you'll know when it's right

0|0
    0|0
  • Whenever you're ready

1|0
    0|0
  • That's something only you'll know.

0|0
    0|0
  • When you think you're ready for it

1|0
    0|0
  • 5 minutes

0|1
    0|0
  • When you feel totally rehabilitated

0|0
    0|0
  • Now. If the relationship is over move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • 18 years

0|0
    0|0
  • The recommended time is 6 months

0|0
    0|0
  • When you're comfortable with it.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• Just when you feel ready... when you feel like you are emotionally prepared for the ups and downs of meeting new people and trying to start new relationships. And when you feel like your hurt from this breakup isn't liable to affect your attitudes and behaviours in a new relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • Whenever you're ready. 6 months is a decent amount of time to be dating someone and getting attached to but you can also get over the other person pretty quickly depending on how close the two of you were

2|0
    0|0
  • There's no set rule to follow. It's when you accept that it's time to leave your ex in the past and instead pursue more exciting possibilities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hello ,
    I'm sorry to hear that. But I don't think there is an equation here. We are all different and everybody has his own paper in this life. So it really depends on you and the relationship itself. When the time comes and you feel that you are ready, go for it :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Only you can determine when it's truly over.

How can you know truly know? Here's a good list

u don't think about him or see him or call him
    u don't fantasize when you and that person were together
    u have started focusing more on yourself
    u have started hanging out with family and friends more often

Hope I helped!

0|0
    0|0
  • About a month. Too soon you might be confused between whether you simply want a substitute or you really like someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • However long it takes whenever u think you’re ready

0|0
    0|0
  • Untill u stop thinking about them

0|0
    0|0
  • Up to you

0|0
    0|0
  • How long were u with that person