Does the phrase "I'm an independent woman" turn you off?

It turns me off, and no, I'm not talking about finances here. Men need women and women need men. It's not to look at who's superior or inferior, but rather to recognize that we are different and we're attracted to our differences. If my girl told me that she can go independently exist without me without a shred of emotion, then I'd clearly think that she doesn't give a shit about me. Call me crazy, but I like being a man and leading the relationship while looking out for the best interest of both of us. I think gender roles are completely natural. Femininity compliments masculinity just as masculinity compliments femininity. What's wrong with that?
  • It doesn't turn me off
    Vote A
  • It turns me off
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• "I'm an independent [anything]" is a turn-off, especially when brought up within the context of a relationship.
    By saying that, you're neglecting a critical aspect of human nature--the fact that we're social creatures, through and through. Our survival, civilization, technological advancement... hell, our entire evolutionary progress is based on our ability to work TOGETHER as part of a group, and DEPEND on other people. To use our differences to COMPLEMENT one another instead of dividing ourselves.

Furthermore, if you have to call yourself an "independent" anything, you're probably not. It's like calling yourself a leader or an expert. The only people who use those words in self-reference are people who need external validation... which kind of goes against the concepts of independence, leadership, and expertise in the first place.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't say it turns me off, but it does make me laugh. I always have this image in my head of a big black lady saying it all southern sassy.

"Imma STRONG Innapendent WOMAN'

Kinda like that and she's doing that stereotypical snapping her fingers while moving her head side to side when she talks thing.

They ask me what's so funny about it but I always figure if I tell them they'll just get even more pissed.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• it's a turn off because one doesn't need to state it. it's obvious.

0|2
    0|0
    • You're in med school. Random question, what kind of notebook would you recommend for classes in biology? Anything on amazon?

• Show All
    • I feel like I'm going to get some old professor that refuses to accept technology and then lay on that speech of how you remember things better if you physically write them down lmao

• lmao. you just might. but i think typing notes is more efficient in class. it might be helpful to actually physically hand write when you're out of class and not in a rush to get down all the info

• Yeah, because you don't have to say it if you actually are one. People know. Preaching it sounds like some femininazi shit.

0|0
    0|1
  • I feel that being together out of pure desire is far more appealing than out of dependency or obligation. The fact my husband WANTS to be with me, out of anyone in the world rather than him needing a wife who can care for him shows that my value goes beyond what I can provide for him on a base level

1|0
    0|0
  • "It turns out that women actually do need men and men need women. It turns out that we all need each other in a certain way, and when it comes to marriage and raising children, you certainly need a partner" - Ben Shapiro

Couldn't agree more.

0|2
    0|0
  • Well, being an independent woman is just having pride in her own self-worth and ability to look after herself. It doesn't mean she can't have a good relationship, doesn't mean she has to oppose gender stereotypes (I think they work well too) and doesn't mean she has to shout it from the rooftops. But in itself being an independent woman is a good thing

0|0
    0|0
  • Turn off on both sides who wants someone who cares only about themselves that was my ex except he wasn't independent he was an idiot trying to

0|0
    0|0
  • I like you

0|2
    0|0
  • nah i get so turned on when boyz tell me dat

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• I like independent women but she doesn’t need to advertise it. The women who advertise it scream Neo-Feminist and am not dealing with that. If l screamed am “independent man” and don’t need any emotional companionship from women, then she would be guaranteed turned off.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't consider "independent" = "emotionally indifferent" so no, it doesn't turn me off or on.

1|0
    0|0
    • Independent meaning that she can independently exist without the presence of men in an intimate context.

• Show All
    • Emotional intimacy is something many humans naturally desire, but that does not make it a positive thing. Because there are people who crave to so much that they are willing to go to extreme lenghts for it, either abusing others or letting themselves be abused perhaps even just for the promise of emotional intimacy and acceptance. People who are emotionally independent, but choose to be with someone, are people who could have well lived without that connection, but made the choice out of their own will. And couldn't you say that if I knew that someone wanted me, simply because they were emotionally dependant on me, what would that make me? Wouldn't it be similar to how cigarettes/nicotine is for smokers, I'd simply be a "substance" to be used and accepting that as being fine would simply make me someone who takes advantage of someone elses weakness/need?

• *crave it so much

• It turns me off, an independent woman wouldn't constantly scream it at the top of their lungs

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes it's a turn off fo me dude, and I've never seen a guy say "I'm an independent man" so why can't girls just admit they need guys like tf.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think they need to say it, their actions and living situation speak for them.

0|1
    0|0
  • If a woman says that its a huge turn off and red flag for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • It turns me off when her independence runs out when the bill arrives.

1|0
    0|0
  • It can be a good situation to be in. I live being dominated by a woman a nice turn on !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • i welcome it. it excites me

1|0
    0|0
    • What part of it excites you?

• Show All
    • Wouldn't you rather be valued on a deeper level? If I'm falling in love with a woman, I rather not just be a 'compliment' to her life. That sounds rather degrading.

• i see this as a deeper level for she transcends the usual female stereotype ie that they need men

• Makes me like a girl even more

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope!

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it just makes me laugh...

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes