Does the phrase "I'm an independent woman" turn you off?

It turns me off, and no, I'm not talking about finances here. Men need women and women need men. It's not to look at who's superior or inferior, but rather to recognize that we are different and we're attracted to our differences. If my girl told me that she can go independently exist without me without a shred of emotion, then I'd clearly think that she doesn't give a shit about me. Call me crazy, but I like being a man and leading the relationship while looking out for the best interest of both of us. I think gender roles are completely natural. Femininity compliments masculinity just as masculinity compliments femininity. What's wrong with that?
  • It doesn't turn me off
  • It turns me off

913

Most Helpful Girl

• "I'm an independent [anything]" is a turn-off, especially when brought up within the context of a relationship.
    By saying that, you're neglecting a critical aspect of human nature--the fact that we're social creatures, through and through. Our survival, civilization, technological advancement... hell, our entire evolutionary progress is based on our ability to work TOGETHER as part of a group, and DEPEND on other people. To use our differences to COMPLEMENT one another instead of dividing ourselves.

Furthermore, if you have to call yourself an "independent" anything, you're probably not. It's like calling yourself a leader or an expert. The only people who use those words in self-reference are people who need external validation... which kind of goes against the concepts of independence, leadership, and expertise in the first place.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't say it turns me off, but it does make me laugh. I always have this image in my head of a big black lady saying it all southern sassy.

"Imma STRONG Innapendent WOMAN'

Kinda like that and she's doing that stereotypical snapping her fingers while moving her head side to side when she talks thing.

They ask me what's so funny about it but I always figure if I tell them they'll just get even more pissed.