Do you deny the alpha/beta male thing?

And that women tend to gravitate more towards alphas then betas?
  • Yes, it's bullshit
  • No, it's a real thing
The 'it's real' crowd is winning :P

2226

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't deny it, but I think it's a limited and backwards way of thinking.
    In labeling potential partners as "alpha" or "beta", what you're doing is categorizing everyone in one of two categories.

In human psychology, diagnostic classification is moving away from the categorical approach, because it's shown to be too rigid.
    Humans are dynamic beings, and should be looked at dimensionally, despite the efficiency of categorizing.

When you apply the categorical approach to dating, you're going to overlook certain possibilities, such as the potential for compatibility despite the lack of initial attraction (because the person didn't fit into your pre-set "alpha" category).

Most Helpful Guy

• The fact of the matter is that it's all situational to your environment and the skills that you possess or lack. A guy who's an "alpha" in one situation would be completely useless and supplanted by another in a different situation or around different people. An "alpha" should be the dominant male in all social situations, and this just doesn't exist.

The idea of alpha and beta males in humans is as much garbage as the idea of alpha and beta males in wolf packs. Dr. L. David Mech, the guy who originally observed and wrote about this behavior in the 60s, discovered later that he was completely wrong. What he observed as the "alpha" was just the breeding male in a family unit.

Here, you can watch an incredibly boring video of him talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtFgdwTsbU

• Fantastic

• Even if it is fake, if a lot of people truly believe this it does make dating harder than it needs to be especially if you are perceive as a beta by many women.

• Mech backed away from his conclusions from the 1970's after observing wolves in the wild vs. in captivity. However, the alpha/beta/omega/etc social hierarchy does exist for some other kinds of animals, including most primates. Annnnd... humans are primates.