My boyfriend just did something shocking. What do I do?

Two nights ago my boyfriend and I had an argument about a silly issue. Sometimes we argue about small things, but he had some alcohol and I wasn't fully sober either. So the discussion got heated while we were in a hotel bedroom. He brought
up things from the past. We got very loud and he put his arms around my neck and strangled me.

He did it more than once and one time my head was just off the bed while he was doing it. I was numb from being a bit tipsy so I couldn't feel it until we ended and my neck was beating.

He's never done this before and we were very tense the next morning. He came to hug me and apologized that morning and said what he did wasn't right. I was very angry till then, but now I'm confused as to what to do. I love him and want to be with him, but I just wish he didn't do that. Is it possible to continue this relationship after this?

1313

Most Helpful Guy

• His apology is not enough. If you are determined to stay with him then he needs to know that this event can never be repeated. It is a huge red flag. Furthermore, you need to hear from him what he intends to do to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Words come easy, actions count. There is no place for physical violence in a relationship, there is no excuse unless in self defence.

Most Helpful Girl

• the big question here from me to you is what the apology sincere, legit, meaningful, etc? or was it more of "well, sorry but whatever"? if it's the second one, definitely not. if it's the first one, id say it'd be fine to continue dating him but just make sure he knows what he did and to not do it again. yes you both were intoxicated which could've caused that action, but still, being intoxicated a lot or a little or not at all still shouldn't be the entire blame for what happened

• It was genuine. I could tell he was disappointed. We kissed and made up. However, I have been asking him to drink less, control himself or refrain from drinking and smoking. If he can't change or if I see any behavior that looks suspicious I think I should rather exit.

• That sounds like a good idea to me as well. You don’t want to have a boyfriend who is good sober but a total (sorry my language) jackass when intoxicated, high, and/or however you feel after smoking