Why can't you just say "hello" on a dating app?

Here's what actually happens. This is a true and complete conversation between me and an extremely good looking guy who contacted me first.

I decided to respond in kind and see what happened.

Does he think he's so attractive that I should make all the effort? What is the point of this shit? Why can't you just say "hello" on a dating app??

228

Most Helpful Guy

• Always comment on something in their profile. That is the perfect opening to a convo.

I agree, a simple hello is a waste of time via text.

• 5 days to get nowhere when he could have actually started a conversation.

• I haven't been on OLD sites for a while, but many women don't want to rush into a date right from the jump either. Some actually want to chat a little bit via DM before going on the date. I still feel that an offer for a date should happen within the first few messages, but if she expresses that it is too soon, then I just give her the space to think it over, back off a little bit, let her pursue me a bit. After all, being overly eager is also a bad look.

• Yeah definitely don't wait too long. Otherwise that's a guarantee you'll both get bored and move on.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wait so he hasn't Messeged you back sense yesterday?

• Well you started out generic. there's no excitement or fun in the way you started off.

• It's just 😩😂 I don't know. it depends what he's looking for. men don't like generic messages. meaning just "casual talk". men like action. if u sent him a message saying hey what's up what are your plans tonight? well I'm going to festival wanna join. u know. im not a guy but I have only brothers so I've kinda gotten used to there ways bc I'm literally the same 😩. Tom boy

• That's a bit more appealing than the hey how are u. most people send those messages and once they send me that I don't know what to really say. I've gotta hang out with u to truly know how to effectively communicate with u. meaning u 2 need to hang out.