How do YOU feel when someone approaches you?

Sometimes when I'm sleepy I start to wonder things xD. This morning I caught myself thinking how people feel when they're approached by someone. Since I never was and I'm sure many men weren't too, so maybe this question is mainly for women... but how do you feel when someone approaches you?

In a more specific scenario. If a stranger approaches you and politely says that he/she thought you are attractive and asks for your number. How would you feel, even if you're not interested and your answer is negative? Flattered? Disgusted? Angry? Confident?

Please, satisfy my curiosity!

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• This is very context-dependent, but generally speaking, I'd be flattered, albeit with a dose of social anxiety (that's just the introvert in me, though).

Settings in which I'd be uncomfortable, fearful, and/or disgusted would be, for example, getting approached while walking by myself somewhere dark and/or isolated. I also wouldn't appreciate it if the guy made lewd/sexual remarks or was being persistent after I said no.

And I would, in all circumstances, say no.
    I don't give my number out to strangers, regardless of how attractive they are or how charming of a compliment they give me, so my reaction would be to thank them for the compliment and politely decline their request for my number.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I believe that's what most people would do and I agree that insisting after a negative answer is annoying, even worrisome. But it's interesting to know that besides all that, you'd be flattered (I know I would too).

• Yes, persistence in general is annoying after you've been refused, but in that scenario, it's especially unappreciated, because it also makes me concerned for my safety (not always, but if I'm alone, then it's kind of scary).
      But otherwise, if the person is cordial and doesn't act entitled to my contact information, I have no reason to feel anything but flattered. Compliments are always nice to hear. I compliment strangers on a whim sometimes, too. As long as it's genuine, it's appreciated. :)

• I couldn't agree more

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely depends. If it's a girl that i'm definitely not attracted to i'd be happy and i'd admire them for at least telling me but i would politely say i'm not really into them. It's always sweet when you know someone likes you/finds you attractive whether you're a man or a woman. It can increase your confidence. It's never happened to me but if it did that's how i would feel.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I agree. At least she had the guts to tell, it's admirable and definetely increases our confidence.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• It depends on how they do it. Sometimes annoyed, uncomfortable, but mostly neutral. Sometimes it's flattering.

0|1
    0|1
  • Annoyed, historically. They always catch me in the middle of doing something or going somewhere. I hate to be interrupted. I find it so rude.

Plus, I would never in a million years give my number out to a random person.

The last time I did (at a networking event no less) I kept getting weird calls in the middle of the night, asking me what I was wearing and if I wanted to come over. Dude. It’s 1 am. Fuck off.

0|1
    0|0
    • What if it's someone you've known for a while? How would you feel in this situation?

• So a friend comes up to me to ask me for my number?

If you don't have a friend's number, are you really friends?

• I feel flattered cause who wouldn't. But it also depends on my mood for example if I'm late and have to be somewhere or if I just got one of those shitty days and don't want to talk at all. But saying " beautiful, can I get your number" is not working at all🙄

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, it normally never works, I just want to get the feeling of a sudden approach. Flattered is definetely something I'd feel too.

• Depends very much on the approach and how they handle the rejection. If they were polite and respectful then I would walk away feeling flattered. If they were rude or disrespectful, I'd walk away feeling annoyed. If they were creepy, I'd maybe feel a bit scared.

0|1
    0|0
    • Interesting perspective. Indeed the response can affect the feeling.

• The specific scenario would made it easier for me to answer. I'd politely decline. If I don't know the person, I won't be giving out my number. He better starts talking, because 'beautiful and number?' won't do.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, I totally get it, but what would be your specific feeling? Fear? Nothing? Would you be creeped out? Flattered?

• Nothing is the right word.
      I don't like or dislike it.. I don't know.

If they start flirting badly, I'll get annoyed. I don't catch feelings that quick anyway. If we can have a decent conversation, good for you, there is hope.

Depending on his approach I'll appreciate it, be whatever, annoyed or totally creeped out.

• I'm always caught off guard and confused even if it's as simple as asking for directions or the time. I have my guard up immediately because I suspect they have ulterior motives like trying to rob me... i live in the city

0|1
    0|0
  • Most of my friends were once stranger and approached me and asked for my numbers. I like it when someone approaches to me instead of staring at me and does nothing.

0|2
    0|0
  • Well I can feel al of the above depending on the situation and the guy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Annoyed, tell them "No." & either go away or keep doing whatever I was doing.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd feel very uncomfortable.

0|1
    0|0
    • Why exactly? Because you think it's weird or because you're shy or something like that.

• Because I'm shy and also I'm not interested in having any kind of relationship right now, so... how can I say NO and not sound like a douche?

• I don't think you will sound like a douche. You're dealing with a stranger anyway. If it's not a stranger, then you say that you prefer not to, that you wouldn't like to commit right now, stuff like that.

• Flattered but weirded out

0|1
    0|0
  • I have severe anxiety so I'd probably get extremely shy lol

0|1
    0|0
    • To the point of freezing?

• I don't think I'd freeze, my brain just kinda forgets what to say. I'm only like that with strangers though, I'm a completely different person with friends lmao

What Guys Said 10

• Flattered if she’s attractive and confident, Indifferent if she’s not.

I would only give my number out to somekne I’d been taking to for a while though and i mean like a couple of hours at least. If she just randomly came up and asked, if never hand it out just like that however attractive she was.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the way she does that. If she approaches me alone, that's fine. If she approaches me with one or more girls around her, the more girls there are, the more nervous I get (due to past experience).

0|1
    0|0
  • Because it doesn't happen often, I would be extremely flattered.

0|2
    0|0
  • I usually get caught off guard and flattered. My game isn't always on point.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, I believe I'd get caught off guard too, it's not something I normally expect.

• No girls approach me but if any did, I would think why would they be interested in me when, Im ugly?

0|2
    0|0
  • I'd be suspicious of their motives and tread carefully.

1|1
    0|0
  • Never aproached but I would be flattered if I was. Probably would be a confidence booster too

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't allow strangers to approach me for any reason. I mind my own business.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have yet to be approached.

0|1
    0|0
  • That never happened to me before in my whole life

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes