How to let someone know I'm not gay? How to ask them if they are gay?

So I've moved to a new city and being the sociable person I am I talk to a lot of people, which is a good thing for me because I'm trying to find new friends. But during the same time, I have been approached by many people who were gay which then after a while ended up in an awkward rejection and an uncomfortable situation. I don't mind having a gay friend, as the matter of the fact I do but not relationships or dates.
The question is how can I tell if they're looking for a friend or something more and how do I ask them without being rude? and how can I let them know that I'm not gay?

11