Online relationship and long distance relationship: Are Chinese men really serious in relationship?

I have a Chinese guy friend who I met online. We've known each other for about 8 months but with on and off communication. What makes me confuse about is that he sends me hearts, he's sweet to me, he says he misses me, and promise he'll always be a text away from me and wants to see me in person. He also wants me to give him a hug if ever we meet. As you can see, he's very sweet to me but sometimes he's so cold like he just chats me whenever it's convenient for him. I don't know if he's just shy or not expressive because that's how Chinese men usually in terms to dating. Anyway, I've come to the point that I think I'm falling in love with him so I want to make sure whether he likes me the way I do for him but he says we're friends.

21