Would a guy feel obligated to stay with a girl he's been seeing longer, even if he has doubts?

i recently started seeing someone, and they admitted to me that they have been seeing someone else since before we met. he said he doesn't see it working out with the other girl for many reasons, but feels he needs to try for now with her. it sounds like he would rather be with me, but the situation just stinks. is it normal for guys to feel obligated to a girl he's been with longer even though he doesn't see it going anywhere?

02