How is it "casual" if they've been dating for a long time?

When i think of something "Casual" I think of the very beginning stages of a relationship where you go on a few dates to get to know each other. But how can you still be casual if you are dating for a long time?

The reason I ask is because my crush is dating someone and I just don't understand their situation. They've been dating since the beginning of the year. They don't act like a couple at all... they actually seem distant and awkward at school. But a mutual friend brought them up in a conversation and I asked if it was casual ('it' being their relationship) and he said yes definitely.

That doesn't makes sense to me though... how is a couple still casual if they've been dating for one year? If it's just about sex then that sounds for like a friends with benefits situation but these 2 are clearly more than that since they regularly have dates

10