What is the difference between being exclusive and being in a relationship?

What is the difference between being exclusive and being in a relationship?So is there a difference? Lets us know below!

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Being exclusive means you’re not in a relationship but you’re only sleeping with the person you’re exclusive with. But there are no relationship responsibilities. Being in a relationship means actually dating the person

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• I do not enjoy dating more than one woman at the same time. I have done it on occasion and I did it recently. After 3-4 dates, I try to decide which woman is the best match for me and I say goodbye to the other one. I did that recently and the one who I am continuing to date is a tremendously good person, sincere, kind hearted, the kind of woman who is sometimes a victim because she just tries so hard to treat people kindly. I agreed to date her exclusively on our last date. At this point, I am not "in love" with her but I do like her very much and I am cautiously optimistic about a future with her. Only time will tell.

Up to this point, she has been guarded because she knew I was seeing someone else. We have held hands but have only had one kiss on the lips and it was very brief! This probably sounds like a junior high school romance but this is the way it has developed.

To me, saying that I am in a relationship with someone connotes that I have some strong emotional involvement. I am not in love with this lady yet, but it could happen. So I am not sure that I would say that we are in a relationship even though we are dating exclusively.

2|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yeah it's a fine line between soup and stew. On one hand you may not be in a committed relationship with someone but on the other hand you don't want that person sleeping around. I think 3 or 4 dates is the right number to figure it out!

• Thanks for MHO!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 14

• For me personally a relationship is an exclusive, and mutual commitment to another person. I don't really see how two people could be mutually exclusive and it not be considered a relationship unless I guess they don't want to put a title on their relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Being exclusive is less serious - you're sleeping one person, and only that person; nobody else. A relationship is more serious, and you would call each other boyfriend/girlfriend, etc.

0|1
    0|0
    • Totally agree.

• Show All
    • That being exclusive is more about having someone (sex, hanging out), but not being serious with. You don’t want a relationship, marriage, all of that with that person. You can’t see a furure with him/her. But you still want to share time with someone for a while.

• just don’t get why be exclusive with someone that you dont see a future with?

• Being in a relationship is officially dating, exclusive is choosing to see only one person. An exclusive relationship is when you are only dating that particular person. You can have one and not the other, both, or none of these at one time.

1|1
    0|0
  • Being exclusive means that it's just you and I. Being in a relationship is basically making things official. Putting a title on it. Being in an exclusive relationship means that you're making things official with one person.

1|2
    0|0
  • You can be in a relationship with someone but still dating other people. Anytime you see, talk to, and mutually choose to spend time with someone on a regular basis you are in relationship with them. The type of relationship varies greatly.

0|1
    0|0
  • Exclusive - they are the only person you are dating
    In a relationship - they refer to you as their boyfriend / girlfriend and you do the same.

2|1
    0|0
  • As far as I knew it's the same thing. If you aren't exclusive then you're just dating. Unless it's an open relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t think so, just that exclusive is specific that it’s more. . . out in the open? I may be wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • A relationship and exclusive are one in the same. if you are in a relationship you are exclusive unless you've both agreed on open relationships

0|1
    0|0
  • Exclusive means, "not admitting other things." Maybe Not admitting to bf/husband about your significant "other lover". Lol 😆
    Relationships hold different levels.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s the same thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • No difference

0|1
    0|0
  • No difference. That IS a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Theyre the same. I've never heard anyone say otherwise

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Well if you're in a relationship then you're in a relationship but being exclusive doesn't mean the same thing. You could be exclusive with a friend with benefits. It simply implies that you aren't sleeping with other people but it doesn't mean anything else beyond that. There's no long term commitment implied or desire to do couples activities. There might be little to no emotion involved whatsoever.

1|2
    0|0
  • For many people that's all that holds them together: the requirement of exclusivity they demand from each other. I don't call this a relationship though and it's one reason I'm strongly opposed to relationships being structured with emphasis on monogamy.

In my opinion if your relationship is so weak that sex with someone else represents a threat its existence then it's probably not worth being together in the first place.

1|1
    0|0
    • Show All
    • @lord_chilled I made no claims about open relationships. I have no idea about long term success of open relationships compared to non open ones (the complement of the set of open relationships is not monogamous relationships, it includes all the relationships that are not monogamous while claiming to be so). I said I'm opposed to relationships that are based on monogamy as their central principle. I have nothing against monogamy, I just don't think it's a good idea to make it all important.

• I guess i understand, i feel the same way about non monogamous relationships

• I think people are confused about the concept of "relationship". You are in a relationship if you remember that person from one day to the next. The only real question is what KIND of relationship is it?
    "Romantic" is one descriptor. It's what most people mean when they say they are "in a relationship". "Exclusive" is another descriptor. They often (but not always) go together. Like freckles and red hair... ;)

1|1
    0|0
  • exclusive means that you aren't dating or looking to be with anyone else. so a relationship that wasn't exclusive means that the person could date other people, flirt with or be open to being with other people

0|1
    0|0
  • Could be the same thing... could be different.
    Being in a relationship means having an agreement that you are together and defining HOW you are together. Are you dating, just fucking, or friends that fuck.
    Being exclusive... just means regardless of relationship, its only that person.
    You can have a relationship with someone and still talk to other people and mess around... but when you add that they are Exclusive... it means no one else allowed. Get my meaning?

Thats why i tell a lot of girls to use both... because people like me will find little loop holes and use em.

2|1
    0|0
  • I'm not sure that there is a difference. It's just that exclusive isn't a commonly used term, it kinda goes without saying. I mean who says, "we're exclusive." I guess in theory you could be exclusive without being in a relationship but... you know.

0|0
    0|0
  • I thought they meant the same thing? Maybe being "exclusive" is saying that you've both decided to settle down with each other, and focus on just each other. I don't know really

0|1
    0|0
  • Being exclusive will bring your heart more satisfaction

1|1
    0|0
  • not into wanky labels

you are either single or attached

0|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely nothing. It is the same. The difference is like light vs electromagnetic radiation.

0|1
    0|0
  • They're the same

0|1
    0|0
  • No difference for ME. I'm a one woman type of guy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't personally consider them different.

0|0
    0|0
  • Those other kinds would be bad relationships. I guess you are right.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended myTakes