I cheated on my boyfriend, but I love him. I don’t know what to do?

Should I tell my boyfriend? I’m afraid to break his heart. I took his virginity and I love him. But he just isn’t all he used to be to me. He gets on my nerves and he doesn’t sex me like he used to. Doesn’t call me like he used to, it’s annoying. But I still would pick my boyfriend over any dude. He broke up with me last month because he said he thought he would be interested in other girls, and I think he actually emotionally cheated on me. Then ran back to me, I swear everything changed. I just don’t trust him , and now apparently I can’t trust myself. I feel remorse, but I have no feelings for the dude I cheated on him with. He was pawn, and he wasn’t anywhere near as good as my boyfriend.

3287

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like what you need most here, is perspective. Whoever told you that the core reason relationships exist is purely for recreational sex, lied to you. Let's get that out of the way right now.

I'm in an LDR with a gal that has little reason to stay with me, and I have little reason to stay with her. We're an ocean apart, and you can only imagine the temptation that brings. But the commitment, in some ways, is its own reward.

Is your man:

1. Bringing you closer to God?
    2. Someone you would count on to pick up your medical bills if you have to not have a job for a while?
    3. Determined to have you legally be a part of his family?
    4. The kind who'd stay faithful to you, even if you killed someone in a freak accident and face manslaughter charges?
    5. The type to bring moral and emotional support, even when you face your greatest fears?
    6. Willing to do all this for you regardless of how or how soon you are able to reward him?

Are you wholeheartedly convinced you could be all that back for him?

If a shortcut to pleasure that you're not even entitled to (1 Cor. 6) is the only reason you can think of for being in a relationship with him in the first place, then you are in a relationship for the wrong reasons to begin with. As such, it will never bring you what you truly seek: fulfillment. The most you can do is get a few cheap thrills; but orgasms only last a few seconds and are gone. And if there is nothing behind them, they betray you to a horrible emptiness.

Others on this site will scream bloody murder that I'm telling you this; but it's true no matter how much they shake their fists at it.

Your compulsion toward infidelity is because you desire fulfillment, of a sort you will never get from sex. But that's all anyone bothered to tell you. You sense that your man may be able to please you bed; but that there's nothing behind the sex machine and the curtain.

You're hoping cheap thrills with another will fill that void. But if you seek to fill the void that way, you will make a fool of yourself. You'll only find more emptiness down that path. And more violations that you'll have to make excuses for. Excuses that will also never make you happy.

We can PM about it some more if you're interested. First thing I would suggest you do, is ask him what future he sees for his family through you. Then ask about contingencies...

• If you ask him what future he sees for his own family through you, what you want the kids to believe about their own souls, how you'd want to raise them, and what he'd do if a tree fell on you or you got cancer, or if you hit a mailman by accident; be mindful of how he responds.

If he is willing to amuse your hypotheticals and think about his reactions, there may be something there. If he gets angry and doesn't want to talk about it, then that's a red flag.

• He is the person that I can depend on for all of those things. He doesn’t get angry but he never goes into detail when we talk about future family. I didn’t have sex with the other guy though, and I don’t have a compulsion for infidelity. I’ve never done this before, it was a one time thing! I’m not looking for pleasure through sex either! You all have the wrong opinion about everything... NONE of you addressed what I asked in the question.

• Words convey particular implications. So you made out with someone else? If that's as far as it went, bury it. Tell the other guy to bury it as well. Speak no more of it. And focus on being the best woman you can for the man you have.