How to enjoy a concert that I don't like?

So I bought my boyfriend and I tickets to one of his favorite bands as a holiday gift. We have very different tastes in music. He listens to hard rock and I am more into pop. This is a full on rock band we are going to. I really tried to listen to the band's new album and like them, but it is just not my cup of tea. Is there anyway I can sit through 2 hours of this loud music and still enjoy the show? I have time because it is not for a few months. I really want to look forward to it and have a good time, but I don't want to be a downer for my boyfriend. Any suggestions?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Live music is totally different, I don't listen to rock but I find myself enjoying it when it's live, probably because of the intensity and the passion they show

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg girll 😭. he owes you for this one. I don't know I'm into pop and all things cute, fun, and uplifting. i listen to rock but there's only so much you can take of that loud banging. and for 2 hours 😵😡. way too much. tell him to take one of his best male friends instead

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yes finally someone who understands me!! I listen to Taylor Swift lol not hard rock! I know he would have a great time with his friend but he said he wants to go with me. I don't know how I'm gonna handle this...

• Show All
    • Well he’s actually going to a concert with me that has Demi and Nick in it next week! I️ kinda owe him one lol.

• Omgooosh 😭 i wanna go.. well since he's doing that I'd just stick it out

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• You can always give your tickets to his best friend or someone he knows that likes to listen to this type of music you trust. Just giving him the tickets is probably enough to say that you're an awesome girlfriend, since you don't like his music to begin with. So it'd definitely be more enjoyable for both you and him if he went with someone that they both would love this music.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d say if anything you don’t want to do that tell him he can use the ticket to take someone else Because you don’t want to pull him away from the event rather for innocent reasons or not

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.. live atmosphere is always different. You'll probably enjoy. Same with football. I can't watch it on TV.. but live in a stadion is different and I enjoy it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've gone to live shows of bands that I didn't know or like and after the show I've had a good time. A concert atmosphere is a lot different then just listening on headphones. Make the best of it you can.

0|0
    0|0
  • First remove thy u don't like the rock n all thing as u r taking ur boyfriend to concert as a gift just see into him how happy he is how satisfied he isn't just concentrate on him if possible seduce him n take out of concert n enjoy

0|0
    0|0
  • Try and learn a few songs
    Sing along even if you don't know all the lyrics.
    (Alcohol is so people forget about there surroundings but i don't recommend it)

0|0
    0|0
  • Get yourself earplugs and try to enjoy the spectacle of rockers/metalheads around you. And the stage shows at this kind of concert can be really awesome, so that's another thing to look forward to

0|0
    0|0
  • Dont like it just wait until the end it was a gift for him he maybe will thank you after but still be there for him and have a good time with him not the music

0|0
    0|0
  • maybe you should suggest that he takes a friend who likes the music.

0|0
    0|0
    • But I bought the tickets and they were expensive :/

• Show All
    • it's hard to tell you how you can enjoy it. get real drunk? it seems like if you dont like there music there isn't some way to go and magically enjoy it.

but often times just crowd watching at concerts can be a fun activity. there are usually a lot of interesting things going on, strange/odd/different behaviors, etc

• Yeah one of my friends suggested I drink before the show. I asked my boyfriends if that might be a good idea and he said no lol.

• Who's the band and just think about how happy you made him and think that he's going to make it up to you ;p thanks for the invite

0|0
    0|0
    • The band is the Foo Fighters. I want to make him happy and he said he wanted to go with me even though I know he would have so much fun with his friend. :/

• Show All
    • That is like the only song I like though. I want to enjoy it so bad and I'm trying.

• Would you like to talk more in private and I understand but your boyfriend wants to experience it with you and it'll make him happy

• Don't enjoy the show

Enjoy the stupidity people do while enjoying the concert

Enjoy the crowd and company...

0|0
    0|0
  • You're a really good girlfriend lol I wouldn't well... I would lol but if I were him I'd probably notice make up an excuse and tell u this was a bad concert or say i was sick and ready to go cuz I wouldn't want u to have to sit through that lol. Or buy u tickets to a concert u would really like and sit through in the same agony u had to before haha. A lot of this i feel is just on what he does. There isn't a right or wrong way for him to react cuz u did this to urself from being so kind 😂 but lol whatever he does will say a lot about his boyfriend points chart :)
    Also you seriously are a great girlfriend haha and if u really don't wanna talk to him about a compromise

0|0
    0|0
  • I would offer to let him take a buddy in your place...

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you work full time if so you can tell him you have to. Work overtime

0|0
    0|0
  • Give your ticket to a friend of his.

0|0
    0|0
  • Being your iPod

0|0
    0|0
  • Compersion

0|0
    0|0
  • Just embrace the moment as it comes to be.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Been there before. The most important thing to keep in mind (obviously) is that you bought these tickets so your boyfriend would have a good time. Whether you like the music or not, just act happy to make it an overall enjoyable experience for him. He'll be grateful that you were willing to try something new, that you didn't particularly like, just to please him. If you don't think you can sit through it and fake enthusiasm, then maybe let him bring a friend who also loves the music... He'll love you even more. Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you like taking pictures/selfies? Do it!, Do you like to Snapchat? Snap! Take some selfies with him having a cool time, take pictures of the people, the merch, the food court, all things that you may use later to make him a nice present.
    If you did this because you love him, keep that in your heart.
    Also, this may want you root/like for David Grohl and the band (sorry for the Spanish subtitles, didn't find another link). He is one of the coolest, people in the world, the band is well balanced, and they have a long career:
    https://youtu.be/pihtWoENAuc

0|0
    0|0
  • oh that is my cup of tea but let a friend go with him

0|0
    0|0
  • just curious, what's the band?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes