Is it okay to not respond to "I love you"?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other
    Vote C
If it's very early in the relationship

2024

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 24

• Only if you had a fight its okay to not reply to that. And I can't comprehend the fact that so many women voted yes even though they always claim to be the "emotional" beings. They clearly dont understand what that does to someone that won't get a reply to an important sentence like this one.

• i said it as an "i love ya!" playfully to my girlfriend when we went our separate ways from college for the winter break, and that didn't turn out to well. She told me she didn't feel the same way... ouch that hurt, and i didn't even really mean it to be serious, but she misinterpreted, and told me straight up front.

• It depends on how you feel. Some people just toss it around and it's kind of lost its meaning, so when someone does say it, it can be confusing. I for one never say it unless I really mean it.

• It becomes really weird and can sometime feel a lot like a rejection if the one who said it is hurt by it explain yourself to clear up any misunderstanding

• You have to respond. You don't have to say, "I love you, too." But you can't just pretend it didn't happen.

• If you don't feel the same then yeah it's fine, but the guy will think he fucked up or something is up

• you respond in a manner like, i appreciate your sentiment and i like you but it is still early in our union

• Yes it's okay if you aren't sure yet, but you should still discuss that with your partner so they don't get the wrong idea.

• Not responding IS a response. just a more subtle one.

• Yes it's okay , you want make sure things are for real.

• If it is early relationship ask him that you need to some time but not responding is bad

• just han solo it. you'll be fine.

• no and clarify why not

• If you don't feel it then don't say it. Simple

• not at all, guys hate mind games.

• Brother love says that see youtube lol

• it is what it is

• NO ! you monster

• Yes..

• It's a risky game...

• If your Harison Ford as Han Solo, you can just say "I know". Else why are you in the relationship in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is too early to make a commitment.

• when leonard first said it to penny, she didn't say it to him, she asked around and she was told that it may be that she's not actually in love with him. it turns out though of course that, she's just been hurt a lot, and that she wanted to make sure he wasn't going to hurt her. in case you haven't watched it, i won't tell you what happens

• Are you kidding? That show is retarded and should not be taken for relationship advice at all...

• then you're an idiot

• Says the guy using this sitcom as a basis for terrible relationship advice 😂

• depends on your reason for not saying it back.

What Girls Said 19

• It's better to tell someone you aren't comfortable with that yet, but definitely don't say it back if you don't mean it. That'll just bury you deeper in shit later on.

• Always respond to a positive statement with something positive, example:

Him: I love you!
    You: and I really like your new shoes!

See how well that works

• well just tell him you dont know yet if you love him so you dont want to say it before you're sure of it.

and ask him if he can give you time

• Yeah it’s totally fine. You’re not forced to reply. And if they get mad for that, it’s not your fault

• well she can't just stay silent.

she should respond but in the way she can at the moment. which is she needs time to be sure if she loves him or not. any understanding guy will wait.

• I think it’s risky to not respond. The other person may think you’re not serious about them in my opinion. Me, personally, I usually just explain that I take that word seriously and am not ready to say it 🤷🏽‍♀️

• You shouldn't tell a person you love them unless you really do. I think it's better to not respond than to lie.

• Yeah definitely depends but I’d rather you not say it if you didn’t mean it. I’ve only said it to one guy I dated out of 3.

• You don't have to, but it might make the person your dating wonder and start asking some questions.

• It is ok not to respond in the same way. But you should at least say something.

• It depends on if you love them the same way they love you. If you don't then its okay, if you do but your just not ready to say it, thats okay too!

• You need to let that person know why you aren't saying it.

• Of course!

• I think its better to address how you feel as well

• Thats cold

• Is it

• Just be honest with your response

• Just be direct. Don’t say “thank you” don’t say it back if you don’t mean it. Just say how you’re feeling. If you really like them you can just say that’s so sweet but at this stage in our relationship I don’t feel that way yet. I really really like you and if things continue to go well one day I’ll get there

• Yes, esp if you don't feel the same

• If it's early in the relationship it's okay not to be ready to say it