How do I stop this guy from hitting on me?

So here's the thing. I'm in a relationship and I truly love the person I am with, but there's this guy I went out with (as friends). Then he told me he is attracted to me and wants to take things further. I told him that's impossible, because my SO is very important to me and asked him if it's okay for him to be just friends. He agreed to that, but now he is offering me to go out with him behind my boyfriend's back. I want to keep him as a friend, because he's a really nice company, but only as a friend. Told him that multiple times but he doesn't let go. So what do I do?

212

Most Helpful Guy

• Well if you've already told him that, and he still wants to... look. He likes you. And it's hard for someone, especially guys, to accept that the option is just done, especially when you're friends. He may not have any other options than you, and you do have other options, so you don't know how he's feeling right now. I would phrase another conversation with him like "Look, I like you a lot and you're a great friend, but that's how I like you, as a friend only. I know that sucks but I have a boyfriend, and I wouldn't want more than friendship even if I didn't. I really like you but it makes me uncomfortable to get propositioned by you, sort of. I can't hang out with you anymore if that's going to keep happening. That's not because I don't like you, but it just has to be that way."

And that is the absolute best you can do. What he decides to do or feel after that point is not up to you; he may not be able to handle it, and you may lose him completely. Yeah... that sucks. But it's also not his fault. He has feelings and he can't have you; being around you may be too hard. If he decides to cut you off, that may be what has to happen. And you may feel bad but maybe it's for the best. Good luck.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don’t think that you’re going to continue to be friends with this man. He doesn’t respect you, your feelings or your boundaries. You have to tell him that you love your boyfriend and are not interested in cheating on him. You tell this “friend” that you can either be his friend or nothing. And then mean it when you say it.