Online dating, your experiences?

So I've been online dating for about a year now, with little success to be honest. I get profile views (so I must look at least half decent!), but not much else really. Also messages that I've sent, I've maybe had 2 replies out of 30+. So what are your experiences of it? Is it the same for most men? Obviously being male I'd love to know a females experience of online dating.

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Awful.

I get a good amount of views and a lot of messages initially, though they'd decreased a lot over time. I never get responses from the messages I send to guys, so I stopped being the first to message. Of the messages I did get, 95% were guys wanting in my pants in some manner or another (usually fwb). These kinds of messages (and ultimately my messages in general) decreased dramatically once I made it blatant on my pages that I did not do hookups, friends with benefits, one night stands, etc and that I was there for serious relationships only and preferably wanted to wait till after marriage for sex. The 5% remaining messages I received were from guys wanting legitimate relationships, but there were all 50+, extremely obese, or lived out of state/out of country, which are all dealbreakers for me. In the three years I attempted online dating, I never went out on any actual dates and I only received one message from a guy I would have actually considered dating and he stopped talking with me after the first day we messaged each other.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I should add that needless to say, I no longer participate in online dating.

I don't feel comfortable meeting people from online to begin with, and my experience just wasn't hacking it. Which is a shame as I have social anxiety (especially around guys I like), I'm shy, and reserved and I generally tend to come across as more likeable online than I do in person. Its not for me though. Just trying to mentally prepare myself for always being alone now.

• I always had a very small circle of friends and aren't really close with any of them anymore. And honestly, I'm not that big on set ups and blind dates, I'd like to go out with a guy knowing in advance that I have some level of attraction to him rather than not knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I had one friend (which I no longer speak to) a couple of years ago that tried to set me up with his friend. Thankfully the guy contacted me on FB first for me to find that he was a prematurely aging severely obese guy (probably pushing 300 pounds). No thanks. I'm happy I got out of that.

• For me I would always ask to see a picture first, bit shallow I know, but if I don't find her attractive, it's going to be a waste of time meeting her. Especially as you're meeting with the intention of dating, not just as friends. Obviously I've never met you, don't know what you look like, personality etc. But if people were viewing your profile, messaging you, there's obviously something about you that makes guys want to contact you. Unfortunately in your case they're after sex, or not guys you would be interested in. As one of my work colleagues says there's someone out there for everyone. (She is crazy optimistic though!)

Most Helpful Guy

• I hate it, never met a woman on a dating website, all the women I’ve met with from online weren’t from dating websites, women who go on dating websites are shallow and it’s not even just the skinny women, it’s the overweight and ugly women as well and sometimes they’re even worse than the skinny women

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE