Making the "first move" on a guy who works at a supermarket?

Hey everyone
So I've seen this guy at a supermarket who I thought looked cute, and I managed to find him on Facebook. I was thinking about sending him a message asking if he wanted to chat and explain I've seen him and thought he looked cute - that sort of thing.. I have social anxiety, so I would much rather do it this way than actually asking him in real life (not to mention I have no idea when he works, so it could be a long time before I see him again) but I'm having my doubts.. would you guys think it was creepy if a girl you don't know wrote to you on Facebook? Or is it acceptable? I really don't know. Please share opinions, it is very much needed

12