Should you break up with someone once they cheat on you?

or should we try to fix it?

730

Most Helpful Girl

• Once a cheater, always a cheater.
    you deserve someone who respects, why would you give a second chance to someone who hurt you even though they knew you trusted them

What Guys Said 30

• It depends on the circumstances; however, cheating doesn't occur in a vacuum- there are usually other problems in the relationship that may be irreparable, and even when you think you have forgiven the cheating partner, there is often lingering resentment that rears its head later on.

• Unpopular opinion:

Sometimes it's not the cheater who needs to repent.

See some people actually really do push people who love them deeply into another's arms by locking away love from the relationship they built.

Have you evaluated your role in this happening.

Did you withhold yourself from your partner? Leave that person wanting?

• There should certainly be dialogue. Find out the reasons why.. I mean if its a long term deal and the cheating is due to strain on the relationship then. While they are in the wrong its worth discussing... if its a shorter relationship and they've cheated.. aaand it was definitely a relationship and not just a close freinds thing.. well I prolly wouldn't trust 'em myself. Even if things don't work out overall dialogue could help with closure at least.

• Oh dear. Break up. You might want to fix it if you have been married for 10+ years and something really bad happened that made one of you cheat.

• I think is it worth fixing? Also my opinion was the cheating just a release. Fucking is fucking aka release. Love is passionate, intimacy more feeling during the acted. But if he is talking and meeting up and having feelings towards her it is the road to cheating and falling In love with someone else. You need to ask yourself is it worth fixing and want to make it work.

• I believe in second chances, if YOU think that they are worth it, and you think they are truly sorry, then a second chance, but that is something that very well depends on them

• Dump them and move on. Never stay with a cheater. There are TOO many great people out there that are loyal, why settle for a cheater.

• Break up. You can fix trust! I've tried 8 different times with a person ended up 12 years later with a child and single and heart broken even more.

• It's easy to assume extremes. It really depends. It's important to talk about why they cheated.

Are they are actually sorry for it?
    Can the reason for cheating be worked on fairly?
    Is the relationship serious and long-term?

If the answer to any of those questions is No, it's best to break up.

Even after breaking up, knowing why the cheating happened can help. If the reason was something the person being cheated on was doing wrong, such as not paying enough attention to their partner, it can be improved so that the next relationship will be better. If it isn't something the person being cheated on did wrong, knowing why can help them avoid wanting to back to the cheater.

• largely depends on if you think it can be fixed or not... i wouldn't continue to stay with her, unless she brought it up and confessed.

• Show more from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 6

• Most of the time it’s probably my best to just break up. But there are cases where the relationship can be fixed, depending on why the cheating occurred and what the circumstances were, and how willing both people are to forgive and put in the effort to move forward.

• Personally, i'd never stay with a guy who cheated on me. No matter how much I loved him. I have boundaries within a relationship, and betraying my trust is crossing one of my boundaries. I value loyalty, and I'd never cheat on a guy , so I'd never accept less than I'm willing to give.

People who cheat are weak. They have no willpower. They have no self-control over their desires and emotions. So opportunity will always control their loyalty. Cheating will always be their potential.

Trust is the foundation of every relationship. So after a betrayal , you can never rebuilt or regain that trust with the person who broke it. They've already given you one good reason why they can't be trusted

• YESSSSSSS, u deserve better than that

• once a cheater always a cheater

• Yup.

• Break up it is.