I love my boyfriend, but I really like this other guy... What do I do?

I’m 19, I’ve been with my boyfriend since we were 15 (so, 4 years). We are opposites in almost every way. He and I have some issues, but what couple doesn’t? Overall, I was super happy with him until I met this other guy.

I met him on a college trip that my boyfriend went on as well. He and I hit it off great! We had so much in common life-wise and personality-wise. My boyfriend noticed and got upset because he could tell that I liked him and he thinks the guy liked me too.

My boyfriend is quiet, this guy is outgoing.
My boyfriend doesn’t like crowds/people or going out and doing things, this guy is more adventurous and social.
My boyfriend doesn’t like games, he does.
My boyfriend is kinda tense and has anger issues, the other guy is super carefree and chill.

He was hilarious. He’s super attractive (my boyfriend is too though) and I can’t get him off my mind. He’s everything my boyfriend isn’t, and I didn’t realize until I met him that maybe my boyfriend and I aren’t well-suited for each other.

I’m not sure if that guy had/has feelings for me or not? But now he has a girlfriend. I ran into him tonight though and we talked some and he was so sweet! But it was super awkward. There was a lot of tension and I don’t know why.

Gosh. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to throw away a good thing that I have with my boyfriend, especially if the other guy has a girlfriend and might not even feel the same... But I feel bad that my boyfriend thinks things are fine now and I still can't get the other guy off my mind.

Help?
My boyfriend is the only person I have dated. We’re opposites. We don’t have much in common at all, so sometimes I’d rather go out & do something & he doesn’t like that. We also share different values, which causes a lot of fighting & unhappiness. How do I know that my current boyfriend is the one? What if we’re not compatible? Isn’t it better that I realize that now rather than years down the road after I’ve married him? I want him to be happy too, & he may be more happy with someone else too!

418

Most Helpful Guy

• You´ve been with the same guy for 4 years. It´s about time you looked for a refreshment. What you´re going through is completely natural. Having a small crush is just nice and you do still realize that it´s nothing compared to what you feel for your boyfriend. Sometimes talking about this stuff to your guy will help. Usually crushes tend to develop in times or argument where your mind starts to look for things that are currently missing. The sad fact is that most couple break up after 3-4 years of dating because they aren´t committed to working this stuff out and start to realize what kind of person they are and what kind of a person compliments our personality the best.
    Before you make any rash decisions, please take some time to really think why you feel something for this guy (on a deeper level) and if there´s a reason why you don´t want to have that with your boyfriend. I strongly advise you to talk to your guy nevertheless

• Thank you! That’s really good advice. I appreciate it

• My only question is, what do i do if I realize that my boyfriend doesn’t really compliment my personality well? I recently talked to my friends and family and they admitted that they really like him, but don’t think we’re suited for each other. I’m afraid in the long term I won’t end up being happy, but right now I’m terrified to lose him.

• I have had two break ups like this with girls who I was with 3+ years. What we´re mostly afraid of is not actually losing the person we´re with, but the fact that we are alone and the daily routines that will change. A human being wants a stable life with certainty, and that´s why breaking up is one of the hardest things to do. Your comfort zone is currently equal to your relationship and stepping out of it is scary.

In the back of your mind you have already made the decision. Now you just need to follow through. Being in a relationship with no future just because you´re afraid to leave is not right for anyone. The feeling of being unhappy in the future will only grow and soon it will develop into hate and that´s when people start to say and do things just so the other person would end the relationship because we ourselves can´t do it. I respect you for being honest about your feelings. It´s time to have a serious conversation with your boyfriend and then start the healing process.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ask yourself if you want to throw away all these years just for a guy you just met, maybe he's not what he really seems like? What if he's just acting nice but in reality he's the complete opposite? You never know. If you truly love your boyfriend you wouldn't catch feelings for another guy therefore my advice would be to ask yourself, are you not trying to make an excuse to break up with him?

• I don’t want to throw away what we have and regret it. He is my closest friend. But I’m afraid that even though he is a good guy, he might not be the guy for ME. Do you know what I mean? I think I’ve always wanted this to work so much that I’ve ignored a lot of red flags in the relationship.

• Then you have to make a choice since no one else will make it for you. Sit back and think what will be the best for you then you'll know if you wanna stay or go