What’s the point of catfishing?

Has it ever happened to you? Have you done it to someone else? What was gained?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess some people want to masquerade as an attractive person to get some attention or play out some fantasy and yes, it has happened to me but not often.

1|1
    0|1
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• There was an interesting show on 20/20 last night about some girl in Canada who catfished Chris Andersen, the NBA player. She wound up spending a year in jail up there, and Colorado is still trying to extradite her to face charges there.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it's happened to me a few times. No I haven't done it, nor would I.
    When it does happen I just stop talking to the woman in question, nothing to gain, just a waste of time.

1|0
    0|0
  • It could be similar to why people watch tv or movies: they get to mentally escape into another reality.

1|1
    0|0
  • Honestly, I may be too careful when it comes to online dating. First I see how soon a message is sent to ME, then if nothing happens I ask questions in my first email that only real people can answer. In addition I have a strict rule w/ Facebook that I have to physically meet them before I friend them on FB. 😐

I'm honestly confused & suspicious whenever a cute girl sends a friend request & matches me on sites/dating apps. It usually just turns out to be bots, only a few times has it been a real person. 🙄

by the way, if that's you in your profile photo you are very cute. 😏

1|0
    0|0
  • Losers with low self esteem do that to gain something fake that will eventually be exposed.

Never and never done that.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it happened to me. It shows they can't be trusted, because if they need to lie to make time with you they are lacking as a grown-up.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think I was catfished before it was a thing and the only thing that happened was I ended up embarrassed and upset. Definitely not worth it

1|0
    0|0
  • Happened to me many times. Usually I can sniff them out. Pathetic!

1|0
    0|0
  • No clue. Knock on wood that I've been catfish free. I just came here to see what other people think.

1|0
    0|0
  • i dont honestly see any point in that, i dont know what people get from doing that

1|0
    0|0
  • There's 2 reasons: ppwer and money
    Power: pretending to be somebody else is both fun and exciting. Always. Online, it's much easier and also can have an impact an the other persons feelings, because it's easy to find people looking for love and attention
    Money: well... after the power thing, anyone with a rather ruthless character can get the idea: no one would give you money just like that. To another person though, they might. Even if it's only one out of 100 people falling for your tricks, they can be fooled into sending thousands of $ to someone they've never even met. You just need to find oit what it is they would love you to be

1|0
    0|0
  • it's a form of scamming people out of money if they are slick enough to get that far

1|0
    0|0
  • More guys get catfished by gay guys I think. I dont know why and its just irritating

1|0
    0|0
  • No point it's pathetic

1|1
    0|0
  • Done it once. It was dumb

1|0
    0|0
  • Trust issues

1|0
    0|0
  • I used to think it wss about power tripping and abusing the opposite sex for rejecting you, but today my friend just showed me this account he was using with my profile pictures on POF to seduce this woman on my behalf because I was so upset about how my last relationship ended & he wanted to get me some ass. So now I'm not sure what to think of it,

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes