Have you ever broken up with someone because of their political beliefs?

Have you ever broken up with someone because of their political beliefs?I started dating a lady in late October. The first date was a dinner date and it lasted for 3 hours because we both enjoyed the conversation so much. The next few dates were longer dates; we spent much time in conversation while we enjoyed different activities. I was struck by her sincerity and her apparent transparency. She spoke from her heart and I had no reason to not trust whatever she told me.

We then had a break of a few weeks because of Thanksgiving and I had the flu. We talked on the phone and everything seemed good. I thought that she and I had potential for a long term relationship: we had a mutual physical attraction, we had many common beliefs, values, and interests, and we both expressed a desire to find a partner for a LTR.

I called this morning to plan our date for this afternoon/evening. She said that she reviewed my Facebook page last night, realized that I am politically conservative, and that a relationship between us could never work so she needed to say goodbye. I was a bit stunned but, of course, if that is what she has decided, there is no point in arguing about it, is there?

I have dated ladies who held differing political views and never had it become much of a problem. I don't need a partner to agree with everything I say and I would not assume that they are "wrong" or a "bad person" because they don't embrace the same political ideals. I dated a liberal woman for two years and we got along quite well.

Have you ever had this experience?

• I have never dated
  • I refuse to date anyone who does not have the same political beliefs that I have
  • I have never dated anyone who does not have the same political beliefs that I have
    Vote C
  • I dated someone and did not realize they did not have the same political beliefs that I have; when I made that discovery I broke up with them.
    Vote D
  • I have dated someone who does not have the same political beliefs that I have but we never had any unpleasant disagreements
    Vote E
  • I have dated someone who does not have the same political beliefs that I have and we had some unpleasant disagreements but it was not significant enough to break up
    Vote F
  • I have dated someone who does not have the same political beliefs that I have, we had some unpleasant disagreements, and it was significant enough to break up
    Vote G

1827

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on how those beliefs affect who they are... There are some I don't care about, others we avoid talking about, some that would make me second guess who they were as a person...

Examples:
    We have opposite views on abortion. He believes it is always wrong and I believe it is a lot better than some alternatives. I understand his point of view and agree that in accordance with his life experiences that makes sense with who he is. He understands that with my experiences my view makes sense and we are fine with it.

We avoid gender politics because that's just a never ending rabbit hole we both know all our exes are assholes and leave it at that.

If he suddenly came home and told me he became a socialist or thinks that guys cutting their genitals off is a healthy life choice I'd probably leave... Because there is no way I could wrap my head around the image I have of who he is believing such things.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think she was just looking for a reason to end things, honestly. That seems just a little too petty.

• You may be right. She was living with a guy and they broke up late last year. However, she owns some rental units and allowed him to stay in one of them until about 3 weeks ago. She may not be fully recovered from that experience and she may be getting scared at the prospect of getting into another serious relationship. Whatever the reason, she's gone!

• I'm sorry bud, I lost a girl in a similar sort of way. Keep your head held high

• I'm already talking to other women! :)