Should I hide my master's degree in an online dating profile?

Every time I decide I'm tired of being alone and I'm going to take the risk of creating a dating profile, I struggle with the question of how honest to be about my level of education. It doesn't affect my career, sadly. I'm not using my degree and no one would know I even had it unless I told them.

I feel like a lot of guys are intimidated when they see a woman has a post-graduate degree, and it reduces the likelihood of someone taking a chance to reach out to me. At the same time I don't want to be deceitful. What do you think?
Updates:
To be clear, most dating sites that do matching, including eHarmony which I'm using now, require you to fill in your level of education. So I can lie and say that I have a bachelor's as opposed to a masters. It's one of the things that your matches will see when they view your profile, along with race, profession, etc.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sir, you are overanalyzing this WAY too much. First of all, NEVER LIE on your dating profile. Assuming you hit it off with a date and education happens to come up in conversation, (which with you I have a feeling it certainly would) then what? Second, don't limit your choices based solely on education. There are plenty of women with basic education that are funny, witty, and can carry a conversation. The point is everything will be up for discovery at some time in the relationship. Do you really start off by having to explain away something as innocuous as your online dating profile? I think not.😒

1|0
    0|0
    • It is one of the criteria that the website uses to match people and it is displayed along with your race, age, etc.

• Okay, and...

Most Helpful Girl

• What? Isn't a master's degree a pretty common thing to have? Or am I completely clueless about people's level of education nowadays? I don't see why that would be intimidating.

1|0
    0|0
    • No, it's not actually. Or it could be just that men with master's degrees don't date online because I see very few.

• Hmm... You might be right. However, I don't think you should hide your education. If someone sees that as a bad thing, they weren't going to be a good match for you anyway.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• You have a masters in online dating? I can't do better than online dating 101. Don't ever hide it. It certainly wouldn't stop anyone from messaging you. If it does anything at all, it may slow down a few of the low brow Neanderthal folks but I doubt it.

3|0
    1|0
    • I am personally attracted to intelligent women and the women who approach me tend to be smart and witty. You should answer your question by deciding who you want. Higher levels of education often mean a more intelligent conversation.

• I would say doesn't matter either way. I don't think including it is reducing your chances of being contacted and I don't think omitting it is deceitful.

2|0
    1|0
    • I have to check one of the boxes on eHarmony. So I can lie and say my highest level of education is a bachelor's.

• Hmm in that case I would say include it. For me it would just be another talking point which is always helpful in online dating I find

• intimidated? no, but I don't like people who try to show their value as if they had to prove something.

just mention you are into more educated guys instead of showing your evaluation

1|0
    1|0
    • It's a required field. On eHarmony it shows what your level of education is.

• Show All
    • If you have no education you would check "Did not complete high school."

• sounds good to me lol.
      I would take this one, by the way my work place pays all workers pretty well so I'dd never tell a stranger that I work there so I can see how people would treat me in an unbiased way

• You are looking in the wrong place for love. Dating sites most of the time dont work. If you wana meet a man you need to go out, and look.

2|0
    0|0
    • I've been looking for years. I'm sick and tired of going to bars, and there really isn't any other way to meet single men my age.

• Show All
    • I have never heard of walking up to a random guy in a store and asking them out. Guys don't walk up to me in stores and ask *me* out.

When people go to the gym, they have earbuds in and they're concentrating on working out. There is no chit-chat. Maybe it's different where you live but where I am people mind their own business. They would think you were really weird if you walked up to them randomly.

• You dont go right to asking some one out you start off with small talk. Go to places where men like to go, and chit chat. If you look on line for love all you will find is guy who want sex, and thats all. Church is a good place to find men to. Just remember when you are in public be ready to strike up small talk, or just look like you are open for small talk. If you put all your Faith in a man to make all the moves you will stay single, sorry but anymore women have to risk some rejection to find love now a days.

• I wouldn't, it's just general info about yourself.
    But I would be general about what you have a degree in, like "finance" or "sales and marketing"... not too much detail.

0|0
    1|0
    • Well I have to check off a box. So I included marketing as my profession, but my highest level of education is another box.

• Show All
    • You mean you had bad luck in business and the company went bust?

• No I mean a guy said he was an entrepreneur and what it really means is that he lost his job, couldn't get another, and was trying to start some kind of little side business but actually had no money or skills.

• Absolutely Not.

As a man I wouldn't be intimidated by your degree even though my highest is a networking certificate.

I'd date the hell out of an intelligent woman.

On the other hand... discovering a lie is something that would put up ref flags for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would actually say yes. A lot of people seem to be afraid of intelligence (or maybe the fear is looking stupid around intellengent people). I feel it's best to let them know your education as you get to know each other.

1|0
    1|0
  • I think it's pretentious (not intimidating) when someone drones on about their education all the time.

Share if you have a bachelors or masters, but don't make it the only thing to talk about or the only thing that makes you interesting, otherwise people without masters will think you only like guys with masters.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I don't think many men are intimidated by a higher degree, and some prefer it. My grad school roommate who did undergrad at Princeton said he would only marry a girl who went to an Ivy League or equivalent college.

Last I heard he's still single...

0|0
    0|0
  • Intelligence is intimidating to not intelligent people. So if you want to get laid, hide it. If you want to find someone to have conversations with, spend quality time etc. dont. Also have faith. Enjoy the little random things that happen when you go out of your house. Visit the local stores, find a place to drink an afternoon coffee and someone will come to speak to you. As long as you dont stay inside and immobile, things will happen. Good luck!

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm fairly sure listing your education just helps the matching algorithm to pair you with others of a similar level, so you're very unlikely to match with a man who is intimidated by a degree.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't belittle yourself by hiding your education it's part of who you are but not all you are. Anyone put off by someone's education is not worth speaking to

1|0
    0|0
  • For a site to have any validity you must tell the truth. A real match is important. But remember being compatible doesn't mean you are a good match. By the way, it's time to learn golf if that't where they all are.

1|0
    0|0
  • IT would only attract me more. But I'm also a man of higher education so I always do this.. tell the truth and you'll never have to remember what you wrote on the application. How is eHarmony anyway?

0|0
    0|0
  • Is it an arts degree? xD.. by the way what? I don't think anyone cares, unless you are looking for someone uneducated, but even then I don't think it would be a plus.. It shows commitment and pulling through..

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care that you have it but why are you flaunting it?

0|0
    1|0
    • It's one of the boxes that you have to check when you fill out your profile on eHarmony

• Yes, men in the dating pool available to you will on average be of low quality, you should definitely omit anything that could indicate you having any kind of high standards.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you really want to be with a man who is intimidated by you... in any way?

1|0
    0|0
  • No way, intelligence is sexy af. I'd love to know more about your degree and area of study. I geek out on this kind of stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't hide it. I prefer a well educated woman. Then again i have an M. B. A. so my answer could be biased.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 1

• Don't try to hide your intelligence, the kind of man you want won't be intimidated by it, and if they are please know they're not worth your time

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes