Should I hide my master's degree in an online dating profile?

Every time I decide I'm tired of being alone and I'm going to take the risk of creating a dating profile, I struggle with the question of how honest to be about my level of education. It doesn't affect my career, sadly. I'm not using my degree and no one would know I even had it unless I told them.

I feel like a lot of guys are intimidated when they see a woman has a post-graduate degree, and it reduces the likelihood of someone taking a chance to reach out to me. At the same time I don't want to be deceitful. What do you think?
To be clear, most dating sites that do matching, including eHarmony which I'm using now, require you to fill in your level of education. So I can lie and say that I have a bachelor's as opposed to a masters. It's one of the things that your matches will see when they view your profile, along with race, profession, etc.

228

Most Helpful Guy

• Sir, you are overanalyzing this WAY too much. First of all, NEVER LIE on your dating profile. Assuming you hit it off with a date and education happens to come up in conversation, (which with you I have a feeling it certainly would) then what? Second, don't limit your choices based solely on education. There are plenty of women with basic education that are funny, witty, and can carry a conversation. The point is everything will be up for discovery at some time in the relationship. Do you really start off by having to explain away something as innocuous as your online dating profile? I think not.😒

• It is one of the criteria that the website uses to match people and it is displayed along with your race, age, etc.

• Okay, and...

Most Helpful Girl

• What? Isn't a master's degree a pretty common thing to have? Or am I completely clueless about people's level of education nowadays? I don't see why that would be intimidating.

• No, it's not actually. Or it could be just that men with master's degrees don't date online because I see very few.

• Hmm... You might be right. However, I don't think you should hide your education. If someone sees that as a bad thing, they weren't going to be a good match for you anyway.