Would you date or approach a girl with a service dog?

I'll be getting my first service dog sometime next year to help with my chronic back pain and issues that stem from it. I look 100% fine on the outside, though. I've never dated anyone before, and I'm wondering if having a service dog would further deter guys from coming up to me or thinking of me as someone who they could potentially see themselves dating because I have a disability, even though it isn't visible. No one has ever asked me out before, so I'm not sure how it could get "worse" but I'm just wondering what guys would think about this if they saw a girl with a SD. TIA! 😊

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• That wouldn't hurt your chances at all!

I love doggies even when they have an important job to do :)

If I met a girl with a service dog and we seemed to hit it off together I wouldn't hesitate to ask her out.

You also shouldn't be afraid to ask guys out. Most guys totally dig a girl that's straightforward :)

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks! In all honesty, I don't hang out with guys a lot simply because my major and interests are very female-oriented (animal science/vet medicine/music/art). So I haven't really met anyone I've genuinely liked. I'm not entirely sure where to go to meet guys, but I'm hoping maybe when I graduate and get a job next year I will meet more people. :)

• Show All
    • Anywho, all of this conversation stemmed out of the fact that having a service dog will not stop people from approaching you. And judging by the amount of talking I've been doing you seem very easy to talk to :)

• Good to know! :) thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• A girl AND a doggy? Fuck yeah I would!

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• This will not be a problem for you. We live in an age where finding love is hard for everyone from the super rich to the very broke, the most fit to wheelchair bound. Needing a service dog won't be a problem.

1|1
    0|0
  • No my last girl friend was epileptic and had a service dog if anything I fell for her cause she had a disability cause I was concerned about her health and body

1|0
    0|0
    • That's sweet that you cared for her! Sadly I've read a lot of things about people with disabilities quite literally being bullied by their spouses and partners. It's one of the extremely rare things that makes me grateful this happened to me at a young age! I couldn't stand to be with someone who was so rude and hurtful to anyone!

• Show All
    • Ugh that's awful, I'm sorry! I also know quite a few people with disabilities who can be quite rude and testy with people. That always kind of blows my mind because I'm not sure how someone could be so rude when they have experienced that themself, but hey. I'm surprised by a lot of things people do that shouldn't surprise me anymore. πŸ˜‚

• But yes service dogs are awesome I use to try to make my girlfriend take it with us too run errands. lol.

• Someone with a service dog is just as dateable as someone without.
    I'd you don't mind me asking why do you need a service dog for back pain?

1|0
    0|0
    • I don't mind. People tend to think of service dogs for blind people or people with epilepsy, but they can do a lot more than that! My condition is one that has required 3 surgeries and will require more down the road. I have nerve issues in addition to daily pain, and sometimes those nerve issues can make me collapse (though luckily it is extremely seldom!) But I'm always afraid that could happen while I am on stairs or somewhere and hurt myself and couldn't get help, and a dog could be trained to bark or even find someone and bring them to me if that happened. They can do something called deep pressure therapy which can help with pain or anxiety, and I have PTSD from the trauma of my surgeries. So the dog accompanying me to my appointments and, in the future, with more surgeries, will be helpful for my anxiety with things like the deep pressure therapy as well. (Had to split this into two responses, sorry!)

• Show All
    • Have you tried kratom for the pain?

• No, I haven't, as it is illegal where I am from. I take pain medications daily, but they only do so much. Pain management is about getting pain to a tolerable level, but very rarely includes actually being able to elimi ate the pain like many people assume and all of us would love to be true!

• Guys who won't ask you out coz of your disability is nothing to have. Would not bother me tho. Should not bother others.

1|1
    0|0
    • Thanks :) Yeah, I know I would never want to be with someone who didn't accept me fully, and sorry, but that means I can't do EVERYTHING someone else may be able to. But I have zero intentions of holding anyone back! If I can't or don't want to do something someone else would want to do, then I would tell them to go with another friend, family member, etc. I'm just wondering if this will make it harder to date in the future.

• Show All
    • Thanks! 😊

• My pleasure :)

• I wouldn't care. There's no whatsoever that you wouldn't be a good partner if you had a service dog.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's definitely true! I guess I'm just wondering if people will just assume that I'm "messed up" or or have something "wrong" with me because of it.

• Personally, I don't think it would hinder me from approaching someone.

1|0
    0|0
  • I literally would not give a single fuck that you or anyone else would have a service dog. It'd just make me a little curious.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would approach and date a gal with a service dog. I love dogs too so that is a plus.

1|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely- a dog acts as an excellent buffer and subject matter.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would think that having a service dog would actually encourage many guys to approach you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Guys are way more interested in what you'll DO for them, your level of attraction and desire.
    If you have chronic health issues that could be well be a much greater deterrent.
    The dog? They don't care about your dog, especially if it's cute. And if you're cute. They'll like you both just fine.
    :)

0|0
    0|0
    • I know that I will need to find someone who is very understanding about my limitations and who will be supportive through pain flares, surgeries, etc. I know it may take a while to find someone like that, but hopefully they are out there!

• If she attracts me and show be a good and decent person, i would not give a fuck.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not with a ten foot pole. All it does is scream issues.

0|0
    1|0
    • Wow, quite rude, but I appreciate your answer! Would you mind explaining what issues you are referring to? Is it because a person with a service dog has a disability or is there another issue you would foresee?

• From my experience most women with service pets have some sort of mental issues like anxiety or something. And honestly after going through it I no longer have any patience for those sorts of things. Not trying to be offensive but they're often just more trouble than their worth.

• It depends on the type of service dog. There are psychiatric service dogs which people use for anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc. In my case, I suffer from anxiety and depression, but it all stems from my pain and surgical/doctor traumas. It's a big worry of mine for whenever I get into a relationship, but I think my dog will be able to help with a lot of things. It should help me with indepence so I don't need someone else to do things for me.

• Honestly... dating is already hard as it is... I probably wouldn't... actually I wouldn't unless there is some undeniable spark that I can ignore

I'm too active and energetic to be contained, we wouldn't be happy together

0|0
    0|0
    • I can understand that. My only thing would be that I would not let yourself think that having a girlfriend with some form of a disability would hold you back. I have done, and will continue to do tons of things! I plan on working in a zoo/aquarium, I've been to France, lived in Boston for a summer on my own (from Indiana), etc. Having a disability doesn't necessarily mean we CAN'T do things, but rather that we may just need to do them a bit differently. Also, most people I know that have a disability thay would be limiting would never hold back their s/o from doing something they couldn't do! Just do it with other friends! :)

• Ya totally understandable... I don't wanna sound like an ass but also wanna give you my real opinion
      --> but personally I'd want those experiences with her... I personally need to exceed our reach... my reach, I need her tuffer than me if anything...
      We just wouldn't be sharing the Same experiencing together and that would make me feel incomplete

Know what I mean... I have no idea what you have I'm just saying in general...

• No I understand, and that's fine! I know that, while I would love to do a lot of things with my boyfriend/husband, I would also want things to do with my other friends and girlfriends, family, etc. So like, in my case, if you enjoyed going on 5 mile hikes and climbing mountains, I'd be asking that you find another person to do that with! But I can do pretty much anything I want, it's just a matter of my pain tolerance and the particular activity requirements. I try to avoid things that involve a ton of standing, but that being said, I love concerts and would stand in a pit at a concert any day even if it was really painful! It all just depends :)

• Probably not, but not because of any prejudice. I know I'm not sposta treat service dogs like pets while they wear the uniform. I never cold approach women, so unless you approach me or something else about you strikes me as relatable, I'm a ghost.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah that's true that you shouldn't pet them when they are working! But I get it. A lot of handlers respond badly to people approaching them because that is related to their disability (severe social anxiety, PTSD, etc.). I don't mind talking to people at all, especially educating, so I don't think that part will be an issue for me. Thanks! :)

• Setting aside for the moment how a service dog can possibly benefit someone with a bad back, I will answer your question and say no, a pet certainly wouldn't hold me back if I liked a girl, service dog or no.

0|0
    0|0
    • I will take your comment as skepticism as to how a SD could be beneficial, but I'd like to direct you to my response someone else who had the same question. Many people believe that service dogs are only for blind people or people with epilepsy, and that is completely false. They can be trained to do a great number of tasks that can help an extremely wide range of disabilities.

• Show All
    • Lol, I try to keep my head on as firmly as possible! πŸ˜‰ But thanks! 😊

• You're welcome!

• I went up to a girl with a service dog. I guess I wasn't too familiar with that you're not supposed to pet them so she freaked out at me and it scared me away.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah... a lot of service dog handlers are VERY aggressive with people. Unless given specific permission from the handler, you're not supposed to pet service dogs because they are supposed to have complete attention on their handler, especially in medical alert situation in which petting could cause the dog to miss an important alert, say for a seizure or diabetic attack.

• I think a lot of handlers tend to get very frustrated in situations where multiple people have come up and been asking them questions about their dog, their disability, etc when all they are trying to do is go into the store and get milk, if that makes sense. I definitely have zero intentions of being one of "those" handlers that get very aggressive about it, but that's also because my dog won't be doing medical alerts. A lot of people have psychiatric service dogs for anxiety or PTSD as well, so anyone approaching them can send them into an anxiety attack as well. Hope that clears some questions up you probably had after that incident! :)

• I don't approach girls so it wouldn't make a difference. Would date if the situation arose.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would. know one is perfect. she may be a very nice lady for love should have no borders

1|0
    0|0
  • Um, yeah... Don't know why that'd affect anything. Most people get service dogs for stupid things anyways like "my anxiety" so no one would care.

0|0
    0|0
    • Except cases where people have fake service dogs or emotional support animals (not allowed public access and totally different than a real service dog), then people with SDs for anxiety must be medically disabled by it. That's not the case for me, but I know it is for a lot of people.

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes