How to get my boyfriend to quit smoking?

So my boyfriend is a smoker. When we are together, just him & I, he will rarely smoke but once he it out at friends he will. He says he isn’t that addicted as he can go days/ weeks without wanting to smoke and can go cold turkey if he wants to. He plans to quit at age 30 because that’s when the problems of smoking start (apparently) However I really want to bring up the conversation for him to stop smoking sooner and I don’t know how to do it in a way that he will understand where I am coming from. Is this possible? Would you consider quitting smoking if your girlfriend asked you to?
  • I wouldn’t quit smoking if my SO asked me tk
  • I would quit smoking
  • Don’t say anything to him
    Vote C

218

Most Helpful Guy

• When you do mention often that you come up with that topic because you worry about his health. And simply claim that you talked with a doctor and therefore know for a FACT that bad things can happen before the age of 30. Its not like his body will be like "oh I should have lung cancer now.. BUT WAIT Im not 30 yet!" he could still get it before. Simply tell him that you worry and if he claims something to show that you're wrong, ask him for prove. He can't. Because all he's saying is based on assumptions.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • That’s really helpful thanks, I just don’t want him to take it the wrong way. We are serious about each other and see our future together I just don’t want to have a family with a father who is suffering from the effects of smoking

• This is also something you should tell him LITERALLY like that. Good luck!

• Ty for BA! Did it work?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a smoker & been with two guys who didn't smoke. One didn't mind & the other started minding when we moved in together (& I didn't even smoke inside, I went outside for that).
    I always told him he knew what he was signing up for from the beginning- I never made it a secret & told him I won't mind going outside, but I won't stop.
    I fear you've agreed on him being a smoker when you first decided to date him knowing all that. It's his choice, not yours. You can ask him & he might do it for you, but he doesn't have to oblige.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE