Why do guys insist on wearing the trousers in a relationship?

like my boyfriend has to be the one who’s more in control
why?
are all guys like that?
do you feel like you should be older and taller than your girl?

734

Most Helpful Guy

• It is true that many men tend to be dominant in this respect, and on the other side, it is true that many women prefer a strong, decided man by their side. This dual fact answers partly this question.

Deeper inside, at psychoanalysis level, men tend to emulate the paternal figure of guidance and protection (which can lead to overprotection or control), and women tend to seek in a man that sense of protection.

This is not mathematical. In my actual relationship, trousers are shared depending on the day and/or the mood. And I don't intend to impose neither my will, nor my believes, to her. But it is true that I try to guide her specially when she goes through emotional states (such as those provoked by hormonal imbalances such as PMS, being pregnant or giving birth). But sometimes too I go through my own PMS (i. e. excess of testosterone, which is often season related) and I have insecurities or act erratically, and my wife has put on the trousers and has put me back in the track - sometimes with a dominant behavior, sometimes with more sutile guidance.

• PS: I mentioned hormonal imbalances as an expample, but also external factors in life affect our insecurities and social behavior.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's 2018 just about. That whole nonsense about one person being in charge was done away with in the 1960s.

Ifyou don't agree to him being the boss all the time, if he never even asked if you wanted that kind of relationship, he's being kind of a dick.

If it's something you both want, then write out a contract more or less - what he's allowed to control, what he isn't, what your limits are.

Don't give up your personal autonomy just because *shrug*.

This kind of relationship is really only ethical if it's intentional and consensual.