Are "leagues" based on physical appearance only, or are there other factors as well?

Are "leagues" based on physical appearance only, or are there other factors as well?
When someone decides whether someone is or isn't in their league, what are they are basing this decision on?

Most times, it seems like it's a split-second decision based on physical appearance. But, one's appearance doesn't tell you everything about that person. What about other factors related to social standing, such as financial status, career, socioeconomic background, intelligence, achievements, goals/ambitions, etc. These should also be relevant to someone who thinks in leagues.

Do people who think in leagues simply pay less attention to these factors, or do they ignore these factors altogether?
If you think in leagues, which factor (s) do you pay attention to?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Looks mostly, but I feel there are also leagues in life experience too.

For example on dating sties, especially paid ones like Match, there are a lot of women who have tons of time to travel the world and have very high paying jobs. I don't think I would relate to them and it instantly makes them seem out of my league.

I think leagues are more about who you can relate to as a person. For me it is a woman who has some geeky hobbies and is down-to-earth. For others it might be a more wholesome religious woman, for others, it might be a woman who has dark sarcastic humor and has a life full of mischief. Just depends on who you click with and who has common experiences or at least seems to understand where you are coming from.

So with that said, at the first meeting, we can tell what kind of "league" a person is by the way they dress, how they move, what they look like, who they associate with, where they frequent, what they say in their online dating profile, the way they speak and their vocabulary, tastes in music, and so on. BUT, at first glance, it is mostly looks, yes.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe in leagues but for those who do, it's mostly superficially based.. With some other factors occasionally sprinkled in. People who only "go by league" are typically people who're really superficial. Even if they think that nearly everyone is outside their league.. Because who's to say that someone really attractive can't have standards that you pair up with?

The thing that I really hate about leagues is that they're a composition of numerous assumptions. And you probably have heard the saying about assumptions!
    They made an
    "A**" of "u" and "me"
    Assume!

For each party!
    As I've said.. It's just really superficial to automatically assume things about a person that you, more likely than not, don't know.

Leagues, in general, are mostly based upon simply appearance.. But can sometimes include financial status, personality, and even age among a wide variety of things.

Hope this helps! :)

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• I think leagues should include all of those things and then more depending on the society you’re in and what that society values. I think the automatic/quick response would be, yes, leagues are strictly looks but obviously that’s untrue as there’s much more factors to consider. I don’t believe in leagues by the way.

1|0
    0|0
  • There's a physical league - which determines if you ever find out the rest of the leagues but they all certainly matter.

To those who don't believe in them, why are you not dating Liam Hemsworth? Or why am i not dating Alicia Vikander?
    Answer: Because even if somehow we were attractive, or rich enough.. we're not in the same ballpark on overall score.

1|0
    0|0
  • Apparently I was always attractive. But I always thought I was ugly as hell. Turns out it was because I had zero social skills which was obvious immediately. So no, it’s definitely not only looks, at least when it comes to women. Looks are meaningless if you act like a weirdo lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • It usually means the person acknowledges that she lacks what she thinks the other person requireas, even though she might be wrong.

2|0
    0|0
  • At first it's based on physical appearance. It can sometimes also extend to other areas. Why do you think there are some that say "you're too good for me" (let's take for a moment they were genuine in this comment and not using this as a cliche).

by the way, that's a funny movie.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its like anything else its a little bit of everything. For relationships its mainly money for sex only looks is the only thing that matters but so does social status for men. Money doesn't necessarily matter if she wants him for just sex but she won't be attracted to him even if he is very good looking if his perceived social status is low.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are only two leagues.

League #1: Includes myself and anyone I want to have sex with.
    League #2: Everyone else.

See how easy that was?

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a intersection of looks, socioeconomic status and personality. The gorgeous, nice, rich person is in a league at the top. The ugly, poor, mean one is at the bottom.

0|0
    0|0
  • The way you carry yourself has weight to the league. You can look like a Aphrodite / Adonis, but that doesn't mean you can act like them

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah leagues are about looks, but I guess you could say the same thing for other factors.

When someone says you're out of this person's league they mean looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Physical appearance for the most part
    Also social repertoire, social status and financial status

0|0
    0|0
  • The first filter is certainly physical appearance, and second is financial standing !!

Other factors like religion and culture, race etc play their kart

0|0
    0|0
  • It's much more than looks to me, but that's subjective and in some places, like Hawaii unfortunately, looks and race are more important than character in terms of beauty standards.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say 90% looks and 10% personality. It's unfortunate but the truth

1|0
    1|1
  • of course on looks..
    why do you think celebrities and models are rates based on picture,

0|0
    0|0
  • All looks for for most. Most people only care about looks

0|0
    0|0
    • Some. Some people care about looks. Most people care more about what's on the inside.

• I don't. I ask out who ever I want. You never know until you try.

0|0
    0|0
  • physical appearance and personality traits probably

0|0
    0|0
  • It's based on looks, status and wealth

1|0
    0|0
  • Just one , can she make me happy , forever... 🤓

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 6

• I don't think in leagues. If I like a guy, I'll talk to him. I can usually tell pretty quickly if he's interested.

1|0
    0|0
  • Education, money, and status also has to do with it

1|1
    0|0
  • Leagues are based on physical appearance AND other factors.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it mostly has to do with looks and job

1|0
    0|0
  • Socioeconomic factors, intelligence, education, emotional intelligence, maturity.

As a fairly educated woman with many interests, I want someone who can keep up with me, someone I can talk about anything with, from astrophysics, to pop culture, to gardening. I'm good-looking, but I usually feel like people are not in my league if they aren't able to keep up in a conversation, not if they aren't attractive. Looks are momentary, they fade eventually. Intelligence, curiosity, intellectual openness, wit and humor, drive to accomplish something, those are things I actually value in a long-term partner.

I'm career driven and am doing well financially due to my hard work. I don't want a couch potato.

1|0
    0|0
  • For girls yes, appearance only. For guys spcial status, money etc

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes