What do guys mean when they say this?

What does a guy really mean when he tells a gal that he doesn't wanna marry as he doesn't believe in doing that for society but he's open to live in relationship forever?

414

Most Helpful Guy

• So I got married when I was 19 because I'm a retard and all my other 19 year old friends that kept getting married (military has a super high rate of teenage marriage) convinced me and my wife it was a good idea well long story short she cheated on me and now I'm 20 going through a divorce and it really makes me not want to be married again. I no longer see the point of it when you can be in a happy relationship why do you need a piece of paper telling you that you're in love when you can just be in love. He's probably thinking along the same lines.

Most Helpful Girl

• Exactly what he says... that he doesn't want to marry as he doesn't believe in doing that for society, but he's open to live in relationship forever. A lot of people, myself included, carry this stance. Why do we need a certificate and ceremony to prove our love? I'm content knowing that a man CHOOSES to commit to me, without feeling pressured by society and tradition. In the US, I believe after 7 years together its considered common law marriage, so you could still reap the same benefits as a married couple.

• I am from India , I am not concerned legally, but my point is that why do u oblige the society on everything else but the marriage issue? If u don't wanna follow societal rules then it should be on every front.. as the reason he give sis that he doesn't wanna do it for the society!! Is the ceremony the issue or he's scared to give someone the position of his spouse? Or it is a commitment issue so he cn easily walk out when he's bored/done!!

• If he obliges on every other issue, it may just be a fear of commitment. For most men, that's a huge step and can be pretty scary if you consider what most men think of the ways marriage can change your relationship. For instance a lot of men say that once they were married, their sex lives ceased to exist. A lot of men fear the nagging wife who gives no freedom. I'd just be patient. Maybe one day he will change his stance, but I wouldn't pester him too much about it.

• Thank you :)