What do guys mean when they say this?

What does a guy really mean when he tells a gal that he doesn't wanna marry as he doesn't believe in doing that for society but he's open to live in relationship forever?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• So I got married when I was 19 because I'm a retard and all my other 19 year old friends that kept getting married (military has a super high rate of teenage marriage) convinced me and my wife it was a good idea well long story short she cheated on me and now I'm 20 going through a divorce and it really makes me not want to be married again. I no longer see the point of it when you can be in a happy relationship why do you need a piece of paper telling you that you're in love when you can just be in love. He's probably thinking along the same lines.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Exactly what he says... that he doesn't want to marry as he doesn't believe in doing that for society, but he's open to live in relationship forever. A lot of people, myself included, carry this stance. Why do we need a certificate and ceremony to prove our love? I'm content knowing that a man CHOOSES to commit to me, without feeling pressured by society and tradition. In the US, I believe after 7 years together its considered common law marriage, so you could still reap the same benefits as a married couple.

0|0
    0|0
    • I am from India , I am not concerned legally, but my point is that why do u oblige the society on everything else but the marriage issue? If u don't wanna follow societal rules then it should be on every front.. as the reason he give sis that he doesn't wanna do it for the society!! Is the ceremony the issue or he's scared to give someone the position of his spouse? Or it is a commitment issue so he cn easily walk out when he's bored/done!!

• If he obliges on every other issue, it may just be a fear of commitment. For most men, that's a huge step and can be pretty scary if you consider what most men think of the ways marriage can change your relationship. For instance a lot of men say that once they were married, their sex lives ceased to exist. A lot of men fear the nagging wife who gives no freedom. I'd just be patient. Maybe one day he will change his stance, but I wouldn't pester him too much about it.

• Thank you :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 13

• He means that marriage is overrated, which is true. If something goes south and you don't want to be with each other anymore, then it's much easier to break up if you're not married, but if everything is fine, he's open to stay in a relationship. I feel a similar way, but agreed to do it for my girlfriend, because she wants to make it official, have my last name and I feel like I really love her, so why not. We're yet to do it though, not really planning anything yet.

0|0
    0|0
  • The legal system is really heavily weighed to make marriage a major disadvantage for men. Things like alamony and taking more than they contribute to the relationship even when no kid are involved. So never w/o a prenuptial.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think exactly what he said. He believes in monogamy and being with one person forever but not the idea of marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • doesn't want to be financially screwed over and may or may not want kids but still wants sex and a companion

0|0
    0|0
  • It means he’s a pussy and wants to keep an easy way out

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol does he believe mean what he says? Yes.

I've lost faith in marriage an institution as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think he means exactly what he said. As most men do this.

0|0
    0|0
  • He is afraid that he can lose half of his property in time of divorce😁

0|0
    0|0
  • It means he doesn't want to fully commit.

0|0
    0|0
  • That he doesn't want to marry you.

0|0
    0|0
  • he's scared AF about the relationship

0|0
    0|3
  • Knee-jerk reaction is he's scared of marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm the same

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Marriage is a great responsibility, Culturally, Socially, Family relations, Emotionally, economically and in many more ways. Nature has assigned us all a duty of producing child / children to keep life ever lasting on earth and brought up them with love and great care. So it is also a duty assigned by nature and therefore a natural responsibility. If he does not want to marry, and enjoy sex in the name of relationship, he is escaping from all these things. He is not man by intentions and should not be encouraged for this type of behavior.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sis he’s scared of committing to you 100%. If he wants to just live in a relationship it’s because he values his lifestyle of freedom more than he values you.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why can't you commit without a piece of paper signed by the government? Are you actually saying that without a dude going to a courthouse paying ~$80 to the state that you live in and having said paper signed and notarized you wouldn't be able to know he was commited to you or trust him just because he wants to keep his love life and the government seperate?

• Show All
    • It did it was a tough lesson to learn and prolly messed me up a bit for the future but I'll get over it. Like I said I probably still will end up married again but I just have an ability to understand why the people would not want to go down that road now which is something I didn't have before.

• Well I’m glad you haven’t completely thrown out marriage because of your bad experience. You just got a bad egg!

• He means what he says.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes