My ex emailed me telling me he had a dream about me?

I made it very clear with my ex that we would never be more than friends again and that if he cares about me like he claims, he will refrain from the 'I miss you's. He has a girlfriend now and I am in a relationship so I told him that I am probably going to back off from talking to him for the time being because I know his girlfriend doesn't like me and I figure it's probably better for us not to talk. He said that he understood.
One month after not talking he sends me an email saying, "I hope you're doing good. I had a dream about you last night and I just wanted to say hi."
I'm not sure what his intentions are, but that kind of sounds like he is just trying to reword "I miss you"
The last time he started this I ended up getting hurt because he wasn't actually looking for a relationship even though I told him to be clear with his intentions. Is he just genuinely trying to be friendly. Why would you send this to an ex? We were really good friends before we got intimate and I enjoy his friendship. But it's frustrating when he tries to take it further. Especially since he was the one who wanted to end things.

12