Should I lie about my job?

I’ve been trying online dating apps and it has not been going well. Over the course of a normal conversation with most men, doing the “getting to know you” thing they ask about college/job and I will tell them that I have a graduate degree and work in a tech related field. And then I never hear from them again.

I had one guy flat out tell me that I’m intimidating because of my career, education and confidence. I’ve started downplaying what I do and my education because of all this and I don’t feel confident.

I don’t know what, if anything, I can do. Any advice?

816

Most Helpful Guy

• To thine own self be true.
    Downplaying your accomplishments is going to get you where you want to be. You can't attract a man who wants those characteristics in a woman, and the kind of men who are intimidated by an accomplished woman won't likely make you happy. Even if they could, you'd most likely end up resenting them for the choices you made.
    Be proud of what you've accomplished, be true to who you are and have faith that a man who appreciates you just the way you are will surface.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• This makes me really sad. You would think they would be happy to meet someone who has a job and a degree (because those are things you had to work really hard for, shows your dedication!).

As tempting as it would be to lie about your occupation and education, you need to be truthful. Eventually they will figure out what you really do and then what?

Hold out for a guy who is going to be comfortable with who you are and what you do for a living. The guys who are not comfortable with that are not worth your time. Trust me!

I know that seems like cliche advice, but at the end of the day you want someone who is not going to be intimidated by you.

The people who are intimidated are for a reason. They feel they don't have enough to bring to the table to keep you interested. So they fear you will get bored of them and leave. Or maybe they will be insecure and cheat. Or maybe just be insecure and make the relationship really uncomfortable.

The best thing to do is hold out for a guy who isn't going to be intimidated by you. Never dull your shine to get someone to like you. It almost always backfires.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE